serena williams speech transcript

"It all started with my parents and they deserve everything, so I'm really grateful for them," she said. [ [List of WTA number 1 ranked tennis players#Doubles|No. Not really a surprise. You have to believe in yourself and you even when other people dont believe in yourself and your negativity and now, with social, theres so many things negative that you can read about yourself. You guys were amazing today. RITHOLTZ: So, youre a kid. The final game of her career featured eight deuces, six match points and took 14 minutes to complete. Disclosures RITHOLTZ: And whats the favorite song that you sing to your daughter? How did that come about and how hands are you with the fashion line? Sure shes had moments at the U.S. Open that have been difficult for her and for us to watch but in the end shes going to go down as one of the great athletes, not just in tennis but in sports history. You have to do this. You know, thats my job, literally thats my job. Like I would stand a chance against her LOL ! So, the equipment is key. She wouldn't give this one away. Lets start running some of the questions from Slido, if we can. In the eyes of most who know and love the sport, Williams holds claim to the GOAT status that's been heaped upon her in the winter of her transcendent 23-year run. I can do anything. And I was just like, What? You know, and I would have never noticed it before. Under Title 17 U.S.C. The stoic-looking big sister finally broke, too. So, my dad was always so positive and he always taught us to think incredibly positive. Williams came out and immediately won the first game of the second set. I want to be an ambassador of that Discuss that a little bit. "@serenawilliams @Venuseswilliams pic.twitter.com/C7RZXcf23E. You can stream/download the full conversation, including the podcast 1. I just spit, I hope they didnt see that on TV. Magazines, Digital So, Id always make different outfits like I had a million dolls. 2004-2023 CBS Interactive. Its not about winning an award. I always thought I would win a grand slam. Williams (officially ranked 605th in the world heading into the US Open) led Tomljanovic (ranked 46th) 5-3 in the first set. At this meeting, Wambach said, WILLIAMS: The fashion lines, you guys probably didnt know that one. I enjoy technology and I love that lighting round, that was fun. Serena Williams announces upcoming retirement from tennis Transcript, Congressional Testimony & Hearing Transcripts. You have your way. Ive had people look past me because [of] the color of my skin, Ive had people overlook me because I was a woman, Ive had critics say I [would] never win another Grand Slam when I was only at number seven and here I stand today with 21 Grand Slam titles, and Im still going.. This is what we can donate. Ill just whatever I am able to get, if any, thats what I will be going for. I am smart. Bigger family plans await. So, thats kind of followed me throughout my whole life. Terms of Service apply. RITHOLTZ: Youre also on the Board of the new Verizon AOL Yahoo combo. Then theyll start losing. Your goal should be 30 or 40. How important is your equipment to you and what does decision-making process like, saying, I am going to use these sneakers and this racket. Williams was not going to go out obediently. She also spoke about the struggles she has overcome to get to this point of success in her life. For live streaming sports and premium content subscribe to ESPN +. Entertainment | Please logout and login again. She dug deep and refused to bow out quietly, saving five match points before eventually coming up short. Serena Williams Daughter Olympia & Husband Alexis Ohanian Are Her Biggest Supporters At The US Open. It turns out that you and I both play tennis with the same racket, the Wilson Blade 104. And as much as I love my grand slams trophies, which I would never give up, for me, my Olympic gold medals mean more to me. I have always wanted that, so mentally, I knew what it took to get there and physically, even today, I am just like trying to get back and trying to get that physical back. RITHOLTZ: Other than your sister, who is your best friend on tour? The crowd in the stadium gave her a standing ovation. Still, hanging up her racket is the hardest thing that [she] could ever imagine, she noted. RITHOLTZ: So, thats 10 questions in a minute. After 1 year after away from the game, there is still no one who can approach her level, her intensity her excitement, her entertainment, she wrote in the caption. Fifty-three minutes into the final set of her career, Williams' run was done. Ive had blood clots in both my lungs at the same time. Whats the next you know, Tesla? And just figure out basic its clich in San Francisco, they say Change the World.. WILLIAMS: It definitely was super, super fun in the beginning, but its like as a nine, eight-year-old kid, you definitely sometimes want to go out and play with other kids and do different things, so then it became a little bit of a chore. WILLIAMS: Yes, very important decisions get made. Williams leaves the game second all-time in majors to Margaret Court's 24. Serena Williams is famous for revolutionizing womens tennis with her powerful style of play and for winning more Grand Slam singles titles (23) than any other woman or man during the open era. What did Serena Williams accomplish? Tennis player Serena Williams won more Grand Slam singles titles (23) than any other woman or man during the open era. The 40-year-old athlete lost her third match at the U.S. Open in New York City on Friday against Australias Ajla Tomljanovic after playing three intense sets. Easily integrate Rev using our robust APIs to start building your product quickly. The serve was powerful, reliable. This is a surreal moment for me.". Is your routine the same as it was a couple of years ago? "Oh my god, thank you so much. RITHOLTZ: And you know, I cant do the same things with it, but I can occasionally hit the ball over the net, which is a good start. I really when I was there, well, I wasnt there, but when I was making the decision, I didnt want to go to Australia just to compete. WILLIAMS: Well, you know, its no secret anymore that Margaret Court I mean, that I would love to catch up with Margaret Court. Richard Williams was a fierce defender of his family. Pam, thanks so much with last minute for joining us here. RITHOLTZ: Failed and what did you learn from it? The Beach Is My Happy Placeand Here Are 3 Science-Backed Reasons It Should Be Yours, Too. When you think about her longevity, winning majors as a teenager in the 90s and still competing in 2022, and her record in the Olympics in major double finals with Venus 14 and ), I could go on and on at the impact shes had. I wouldnt be Serena if there wasnt Venus, so thank you, Venus, she said. I lived through tragedies and Was that fun or did that become a chore? 2023Well+Good LLC. I'm just so grateful to every single person that's ever said 'Go Serena' in their life. WILLIAMS: Well, I told you about the tennis story and the Gatorade and the clothing line? So, I always try to be true to myself and true to people that I line up with. I try to reinvent exercise and also, technology has really changed a lot in terms of helping athletes perform better, perform longer. On the heels of two surprising (but really not all that surprising) wins in the first two rounds, we all started to wonder, if not try to envision it could something epic be in the making? In 1984 in Compton is where I began my journey of becoming a tennis player on beaten down courts. Pam Shriver: (01:06) I want to apologize to the academy. RITHOLTZ: Okay. I was happy for her, but . Oh, I was well, I am going back to, but I am studying I am going back I am studying pre-med at UMass. Friday night was first time these two played each other. Politics | I had a lot of fun with her anytime I could to make her crackup. After the game, in an on-courtinterview, with tears in her eyes, she thanked her parents, sister, and herfans who always supported her. RITHOLTZ: Tell us about a time you failed, it could be on the court or off. Cheguei e antes que algum grite que eu vim chutar So, I was really excited. Jamie McKillop, 1. Not so much. She became the center of the sports universe one more time this week, owning her legend and building upon it, even without a deep run into the 21st and seemingly final US Open of her life. So, every time I lose, which I absolutely abhor, but every single time I lose, I get ten times better and thats failing. A lot of businesses use them. The most accurate AI-powered transcription on the market. Hopefully, its more than one person, but usually, we just strive for just that one to make that one person better and for me, I think that is super important to do. I just joined a Board with Billie Jean King just for that helps evolve different foundations in terms of making change and equality which is again, something that I truly, truly believe in and I got asked to join another Board, a few days ago for a new sports league that is starting that I am deciding whether I would join it or not. March 30, 2018 4:00pm by She also gave an emotional speech thanking the crowd for their support. So, throughout that time, I just you know, make adjustments because if I were doing the same thing 20 years later, I think I will be a little bit tired and just, I wouldnt want to do it anymore, so every few years, I reinvent myself. The drama of tennis is how a match's end can hinge on one swing of the racket. 2023 Vox Media, LLC. And Im just so grateful to every single person who has ever said go Serena in their life, Im just so grateful because you got me here.. You can stream/download the full conversation, including the podcast extras oniTunes,Bloomberg,Overcast, andSoundcloud. Until Tomljanovic spoiled it again. I do that in tennis a lot. But he would say that, You can have a focus on what you want to do, so I knew that I wanted my focus was going to be female founders. Why not reach for a higher goal? Thank you. I know, its nerve-racking . I am like, I could focus. And I wouldn't be Serena, there wasn't Venus. Speaker 1: (01:53) WILLIAMS: It is real. She is perhaps the greatest tennis player of all times. Speaker 3: (03:15) Its kind of neon green and black and cool, thats why I use it. I found this to be a really wonderful conversation. Become a freelancer and work on your own terms. I'm just so grateful because you got me here." I went to art school. In an unaccustomed moment of raw honesty from a pro athlete, Tomljanovic said afterward she didn't even expect to win. For three final matches this week, for the first time in years, we got one final chance to see what made Serena Williams great. This makes no sense. Things you buy through our links may earnVox Mediaa commission. WILLIAMS: No, it works. You just have to be so positive and you have to love you and believe in you more than even more than your parents probably would ever believe in you and so, thats what it takes. RITHOLTZ: So, 24, 25, 30? RITHOLTZ: What do you do to relax when youre not on the court? I always entered with a mindset frankly to win, and yes, I dont want win them all, but at least my mental was there. You just had a baby. Down 5-1, Williams still managed to blow Tomljanovic back on her heels a couple of times, then dupe her into a net winner and dazzle the crowd once more. Ive had my share of ups and downs. Williams was eliminated in the third round on Friday, losing 7-5, 6-7 (4/7) 6-1. Your official excuse to add "OOD" (ahem, out of doors) to your cal. The superstar announced she would evolve away from tennis after this years U.S. Open in an article in Vogue. RITHOLTZ: I am the father of daughters you instilled a positive attitude. You have reached your limit of free articles. Heres what Serena wrote on Instagram. "Oh my God. And I just was able to relax, and so to answer your question, I dont know. Thank you. It was just way too much pressure and I talked to my coach and he sat me down and he said, Why are you trying to get to 18? This week, Tom and Shiv get it on. The sports icon capped off her 27-year tennis career with a beautiful shoutout to family and fans. But, yeah, I feel like, again, just those key points and just winning some of those points is always something mentally that This is a beautiful moment and Im not Im not crying for winning an award. Williams and Tomljanovic made those last 14 minutes feel like an hour. I wouldnt be Serena if there wasnt Venus, Williams added, so thank you, Venus. Outside of the trophies and records, the greatest thing you can say about Serena Williams is that she played tennis unlike anyone before her, and at the same time her style can't be duplicated. This week, tennis star Serena Williams was honored with the Sportsperson of the Year award by Sports Illustrated. Although, it is true. I can do that. The way Williams put on her career-closing performance was gripping enough to add to her legend. How difficult was it to make the decision not to compete in Melbourne? And then I have other companies that I do work. Going into the 2022 U.S. Open, the 23-time Grand Slam singles champion had played just four singles matches since she suffered an injury at Wimbledon in June 2021. A little more technical stuff. They'd go to tiebreak, and Williams refused to be swept. Speech-to-Text live streaming for live captions, powered by the worlds leading speech recognition API. Ten questions in 60 seconds. You work with you work with Wilson. RITHOLTZ: Theres a lot of like Dungeons and Dragons stuff thats interesting . She grew steadier, more confident as the New York night wore on. Its the news, without the news. The upsetting loss is likely the end of her professional tennis career. Its like, I want to be a vessel for love. Calculate how much it costs to transcribe, caption, or subtitle your content. RITHOLTZ: So, lets talk about the people in the room and the business that you are in. I'm just so grateful to every single person that's ever said, Go, Serena, in their life. To call it historic would be an understatement; it's been 32 years since a woman was the sole recipient (the US women's soccer team won as a group in 1999), and it's the first time a black woman has ever been recognized. The transcript from our bonus podcast with MiB: Serena Williams, Tennis Greatis below. This is how we can help you come up with different ideas. I just thank everyone thats here, thats been on my side so many years, decades, my gosh, what is a decade. One day, youre going to have to figure, around 45, youll retire from tennis, whats going to replace the competition of tennis in your post-tennis life? Barry Ritholtz. Oh my gosh, literally decades," she said, speaking on-court,". Everyone in that box., "I wouldn't be Serena if there wasn't Venus. Terms and Conditions. Given how she won 73 titles, 367 major matches, four Olympic gold medals and redefined what was possible on a tennis court, there's little argument against Williams being regarded as the game's most dominant, physical, athletic, graceful and inspiring player ever. And welcome back to Get Up. He was joined at the Oscars by his wife, Jada Pinkett Smith, who was the target of a G.I. RITHOLTZ: So, you started playing tennis as a kid, what was that like? No one has effected the game, or sport, the way she has. Make your content more accessible to people with disabilities. Ive had people look past me because the color of my skin, Ive had people overlook me because I was a woman. Get it daily. I always try to be true to myself. I do see lots of athletes in all sports that are playing deeper, playing when they are a lot older. I made always different outfits for my baby dolls, so you know, Ive always just been a fashion person. ", "Thank you daddy, I know you're watching; Venus Williams is the only reason Serena ever existed" - Serena Williams' full farewell speech at 2022 US Open. But all starts with my parents, and they deserve everything, so Im really grateful to them., A speech worth of the @serenawilliams | #USOpen pic.twitter.com/0twItGF0jq. Watching Will Smith smack Chris Rock wasnt on anyones Oscars bingo card, but neither was Will Smith winning Best Actor after slapping Chris Rock. She really was not only very thoughtful and savvy when it comes to business, but just delightful and charming. Just everyone that's here that's been on my side so many years, decades. The tennis icon then briefly looked back at her incredible time in the sport. Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images; Clive Brunskill/Getty Images. You\'ll receive the next newsletter in your inbox. WILLIAMS: Yes, I dont know. Now comes the next stage. . Her name is Serena Williams and I was fortunate enough to be able to interview her at an event recently down in Florida where we discussed not only tennis, but business philanthropy, what its like to be so singularly focused on one single area for most of your life. In fact, she recommended me and wanted me om that one. How Greed and Easy Money Corrupted Wall Street and Shook the World Economy Magazines, Sports Illustrated Sportsperson of the Year, Or create a free account to access more articles, Watch Serena Williams's Inspiring Sportsperson of the Year Acceptance Speech. Speaker 1: (00:00) Transcribe your audio files to find high-impact insights in minutes. RITHOLTZ: So, lets talk a little about some personal stuff. We are joined right now by ESPN tennis analyst and of course tennis great herself, Pam Shriver on the phone. Pam Shriver, thank you so much for giving us a few moments here of perspective. I am the father of daughters, and I will let Barry finish the rest of the question. And thats really been helping me to be able to continue to evolve. We could do this for an hour. RITHOLTZ: So, someone asked the question, Mom brain is real., RITHOLTZ: How do you do all that you do and how do you balance work and life?. Don't miss a moment of the US Open! I didnt have it you know, in the last year, with everything that happened, and you know, so when it comes, Ill know. Speaker 1: (00:24) Succinct Summation of Weeks Events for 3.30.18. They all definitely have given and want to give and have given a lot of to their own various charities and things that they do as well. Just like that. And I feel like it was a very conscious decision to make this push towards the U.S. Open. The 34-year-old tennis pro encouraged women everywhere to keep striving for greatness. Thanks, mom, she said. All rights reserved. And you got to smile, you got to pretend like thats okay. Before Williams left the court, she looked back on the incredible ride and paid tribute to all those who were by her side, especially her parents and big sister Venus Williams. WILLIAMS: Yes, it was yes, because it was a different draw and it was there are different elements, so they changed it in, I think the 60s to open-air tennis, and so thats when it became people like me playing. Discover why Rev is the #1 speech-to-text service in the world. All Rights Reserved. Then, everything started clicking. I am from Compton, California and we couldnt really afford to buy Gatorade, so sometimes well be practicing on the public courts and my dad would leave the courts and go around the corner to the little corner market and he would buy one Gatorade, back then it was like in a glass bottle and we would all share it. Serena Williams announces upcoming retirement from tennis. I look like the crazy father, just like they said, just like they said about Richard Williams. 2, Anett Kontaveit. Tomljanovic won, cutting it to 5-3. Fitting. WebSeren Serena Williams Informative Speech 408 Words2 Pages There are many encouraging people in this world today, but there is one in particular. All rights reserved. What is that process like? Tell us about some of your favorite books? WILLIAMS: A little bit. Good for them (and us!). So, you have a number of Olympic golds, both for singles and doubles with your sister. Not surprisingly, Williams' acceptance speech last night was the kind of instant inspiration that comes from decades of court time and pushing past challenge after I ended up winning, I think it was the US Open after that. WILLIAMS: Well, I just recently joined the Board of SurveyMonkey. Sam and Joel reach a new level of intimacy. This is how we can be involved.. It was just this was like, I have been using this for years. I think the last couple points I was really suffering there. https://www.sportskeeda.com/tennis/news-thank-daddy-i-know-watching-venus- After a dominant year in tennis during which she won three of the four majors and finished the season with a 53-3 record, Serena Williams was officially honored as the Sports Illustrated Sportsperson of the Year on Tuesday night in New York City. And it was the treat of the life for me. Venus said it well in an Instagram post the day after Williams final match. It goes another, there is no telling how much longer the battle ensues. Serena Williams thanked her family for their contributions, especially her parents and sister Venus Williams, after her decorated career came to an end in New York on Friday night. This material may not be republished, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. You use it to hit serves 129 miles an hour. What shes done for me, for the sport of tennis is just incredible. I was using a Wilson racket. WILLIAMS: But to me, it made sense because I set my goal for just what was in sight, and I think subconsciously, a lot of people set their goal on what is already there. Serena Williams, the 23-time Grand Slam champion and inspiration to millions across the world has retired from professional Tennis. So, its like, its so important to have the right equipment. Youre not going to see someone different here and then meet me somewhere and see a totally different individual. This is what I use. I follow . I noticed youve retweeted Kobe a couple of times, who else do you follow? Photos | (She has never liked the word retirement, she noted.) Once every four years, this is their moment in time and they may never come back and you realize how amazing it is to hold a gold medal that someone else has as well, and the feel that they have worked for, for 20 years plus for just that one day. So, when the opportunity came to sign with Wilson, I was overjoyed. This match was so good, so gripping, so drenched with drama, Williams could not be faulted for second-guessing her retirement decision in the months to come. There were about 2,400 people in the audience and when she was introduced, she came out to a standing ovation. I have to focus on being a mom, my spiritual goals, and finally discovering a different but just exciting Serena. Serena, thank you so much for doing this. She was cruising to a third set. I really do. "I never thought I'd have a chance to play her in her last match when I was a kid watching her in all those finals. Copyright 2022 NBCUniversal Media, LLC. I am really, I honestly think I was a superhero in a different life in another dimension, you know, like I was Miss Marvel or something. I love Serena just as much as you guys do, she said. If I wouldve just played a little bit better, The icon then went on to honor those who were with her even before her fans: her parents (and former coaches), Richard Williams and Oracene Price. Well, she has impacted tennis on the court, off the court. Balancing work and life is easy for me because I made it you know, I work from I have to be done at one at the latest usually, but I wanted to be here with you guys, so but my every day life, I try to be done at one, that way I can spend the rest of the day with my daughter. It was the longest US Open match of Williams' life. Markle frequently supports Williams at tennis matches, while Williams threw Markle's baby shower. I want to say thank you to Venus and Serena. You guys were amazing today. I believe it starts two months, out of the womb. Thank you daddy, I know youre watching. Jane II joke from Rock. "Thank you, Daddy, I know you're watching," Williams said on mic to her father when she was interviewed on-court after the match. I was like, Oh my goodness. Serena Williams and Meghan Markle have been friends since 2014, though they met in 2010. RITHOLTZ: You dressed quite fashionably this evening. Tomljanovic copped to feeling really sorry after beating Williams to keep her own U.S. Open hopes alive. Art imitates life. So, I'm really grateful for them. I think in the year off she realized she wasnt in it long term, but I think for her the decision to end her career at the place, it overwhelmingly looks like its the U.S. Open from everything she said. In August, Williams announced in a first-person essay for Vogue magazine that her tennis career was winding down, saying this year's US Open would probably be her final In fact, we had a call yesterday. I have my way. She's the only reason Serena Williams ever existed.". Did that become a job? This is what I do all my life. And it just tells such a great story. Yes, I have quite a few, but its been really great. On Friday night in Flushing Meadows, Williams put on the kind of show that will linger as a final image of a virtuoso career. My hope by winning this award [is that I] can inspire many, many, many more women to stand right here on this podium and accept another Sportsperson of the Year, so yes ladies it can be done., Williams addressed the body-shaming and criticism she has had to deal with throughout her career. Thats super fun. I know to do what we do, you got to be able to take abuse. So, Im not going to use something that I just dont believe in. Kyle Sandilands called out Anthony Albanese during his wedding speech in front of 130 guests at Swifts - a late-Victorian Gothic Revival property in Sydney on Saturday.. Get a weekly digest of the weeks most important transcripts in your inbox. This has been delightful.

Antique Rembrandt Brass Floor Lamps, Garage Door Light Turns On By Itself, Lesson 5 Polygons On The Coordinate Plane 711 Answer Key, Sweet And Sour Pork Uncle Ben's, Articles S