palmers green 1960's

Sylvia & Pennie have jogged my memory of Doms cafe in Palmers Green. I have fond memories of Palmers Green, as I worked at the station from aged 15 in 1963 till 1968. Are you skating on thin ice already in the Netherlands? The tramway is now long gone. in days gone by. After the dentist located at the Triangle mum would take me across to Lyons tea house, Download this free history of the Collection. Also in Aldermans Hill was a butcher called Drakes and the Gas Company with the Electricity Co round near the current McDonalds in Lodge Drive. Everett was the first black lad in our school in the mid 50s. Remember Martins the newsagents- corner of Green Lanes and Hedge Lane. She retired when I was there and replaced my Mrs Gibbs trendy and Beatles fan. Please take a look at Palmers Green Virtual Ward Panel Survey for January 2023 via the link below. accounts of a childhood when things were rather different than today (and everything inbetween!). Then came the day of the first postwar consignment of new Dinky ToysI was late in the queue, all vehicles sold but I did secure a Gun Emplacement Canon. Pennie, I can tell you have great taste! In 1914 he was commissioned into the Middlesex Regiment as a 2nd Lieutenant and was killed on 1st July 1916 at the Somme. I have written up many of my memories.. Hello Roger. Helen. In 1871 the railway line from Wood Green to Enfield was opened and a station was built in Aldermans Hill to serve Palmers Green (half a mile away from the nearest houses). The area remained largely undeveloped for thirty more years, as local landowners refused to sell their large estates for building. you may ask) too fashionable and hexpensive now thanks to ebay. For well over 10 years now, we've been inviting visitors to our web site to add their own memories to share their experiences Dad wasnt a countryman as such, though he grew up in the country (son of an oft time farm worker and bringer home of rabbits and pheasants that might not strictly have belonged to him) and has always loved its ways and traditions. Thanks Richard for the update on Vic, knew him from his window cleaning business in P.Green, cups of tea in Doms cafe & long discussions on where to go for the next holiday in Spain. As I hadnt had any response to my original comment I was beginning to think I had imagined him. One day I and a group of friends went to find Cliff Richard's house to try and get his autograph. I also, an geography class at Southgate County Fox Lane Please Miss! It was called something like The Rubber Mac shop!!!! Dr Stewart was our doctor too. inbox. The management of waste in north London has long been an area of concern, all too often subject to seemingly unsatisfactory answers to reasonable questions. But you are right about the window where you got served. Now hears a thing opposite the pool was a old derelict house who lived there? The area remained largely undeveloped for thirty more years, as local landowners refused to sell their large estates for building. It was there that John Herbert (Jack) was born on 31 December. So back ome goin West? In 1969, the New Jersey lottery got its start and New Jersey native Buzz Aldrin (from Glen Ridge) landed on the moon with Neil Armstrong. I remember J&As when the windows were boarded, just a square foot to stare in. flexible offerings for business. Dordrecht, Netherlands. Hello Jenny, Unfortunately I have no knowledge of the Hedge Lane premises,hope this is helpful. My parents bought our very first television from them a Bush table model which was also installed by them. The, I lived in a flat over Walton, Hassell & Port in Alderman's Hill. Or anyone that you may imagine could know? Just a qwik qweery (my daughter is out this evenin an Im baby sittinso privit time on the computer, eh?) My mum had a job doing tailoring above Burtons and in school holidays I had to go in with her some days. I remember the big round plastic tomatoes containing tomato sauce. Responding to the notes on Barrowell Green Swimming pool, I was born in Southgate and lived at 6 Tintern Gardens from 1936 56, and attended Southgate County Grammar School. You must be signed in to save to an album. Our Joe Hart lived in edge Lane opposite Doc. My Aunty Jean used to make his partners costumes and lives in Princess Avenue. Dark..my teecher at Winchmore ill and Southgate County Grammer, Fox Lane, do you remember? Download the app Get a free listing Advertise 0800 777 449. keywords location Search. Atthe Intimate Theatre. Spent a few happy days with him and also his parents at their house up by the new river. I used to get home absolutely filthy but so happy. But I was answering Jenny Hs comment about the site at the top of Hedge Lane which was a car dealership etc & is now a very good Turkish Deli, which she thought had been a bomb site. Best wishes Sylvia. Thanks In his biography of Jack, writer and colleague Paul Peacock notes that though many people would assume that Jack found fame in the 60s and 70s, he first achieved recognition before the second world war at the Independent Broadcasting Company where he was head of Universal Programme Productions, twinning revenue opportunities for products like Horlicks with broadcast output. Doms and the baker opposite were always good pitches! One of us is going mad!! It is now a tyre suppliers and fitters. The, Today is the 7th July. He said there was money all over the place and as far as he could see it was all being collected up to be given back, The other corner was also hit and certainly Keith`s cars set up business there and eventually on both sides of Sidney Avenue, becoming a flourishing business. Sorry to say my own Weddin Photos (brilliant) from Artricia, Winchmore Hill selected by my father-in-law Edward Cable Later on in Advertisin I helped to promote the 10 fare to Australia for adventurous families but had to stay behind to assist David Bailey, Don McCullin, Billy Apple et al.. No rush now but still on the familly tree search (Sixteen String Jack Rann and Sue) (Sue still rowing back to GB from Botany Bay 1779)ave you eard from yore coastgards annythin? The Sunday People is crinkled and pages turned until the familiar tune begins: Say what you will, the countryside is still, Recorded by Max Bygraves in 1956 for the film Charley Moon, it was the original theme tune to Out of Town, a programme which, according to Television and Radio 1978 whether it shows the shoeing of horses, angling or rabbiting, presents a complete and unsentimental picture of country life in all its aspects.. Other fine dinin hexperiences in dear ol Palmers Greengeograffical-wise goin east. Lots of happy memories of Palmers Green ice cream at John Coombs sweet shop. I used to buy my records from Ashwells which was next door to Lloyds Bank. no NHS .no grudgis but years go on this tripe celebration with fireworks still upsets loads o animals for a month (even pets let alone them foxis an badgers) annually..Annyway ice cream an jellys under a glass case (repro) at the Ritz cinema 1943 in Leyton (before the doodle bugs) but nil else at the Odeon Southgate (2/9 for the best seats and icis (extra) in the interval (with my wife 1959). Er, Dave, surely The Bezazz opened nearer 1957 than 1967 frothy coffee and all that. Dave then joined him at Kelvin and we became great mates and we would go to Arsenal matches together. Me and my two brothers been discussing the dept store at the triangle but didnt think it was Evans & Davies at that time . I worked in that Bricks mens shop in1971. Dinky toys and we once had a red motor bike (brand new) for sale. The memories this place inspires for you? I used to have a paper round in the paper shop top of hedge lane and green lanes in 1963 I got fifteen Bob a week Mr pogson was the proprietor does any body remember him. Next, The Curzon just past the Post Office (not goin in there Raymond, too hexpensive). Do I get commission on the bet payout? Wonder what happened to him, I would love to know. I also went to Bowes Road School but only from 1952 to 1953 in the infants. Fantastic David, thats amazing. Even on cross country runsI wonder what dear old Mr Robertson, Physical Training Master at Southgate County would have commented. also the Unigate milkman who had an electric cart and kept saying oh brother. What about the old corn merchant on the corner of Osborne Road and the tiny sweetshop nextdoor! would love to know.. oh that did make me laugh yes remember him. Search for Motorcycle Repairs & Services and other automotive services near you on Yell.com. Hi David flexible offerings for business. I also remember Miss Bellfountain (Spelling) she was head of the Junior before Miss Gibbs. She was a lovely lady; then onto Junior school run by Miss Belfontaine, who was a bit of a demon but very good at her job. I also recall Roberts toy shop on the other side. It is being discussed today and frequently, on my Facebook page Winchmore Hill And Palmers Green Memories. a great character called Brun Hill. Arnos and remember Mr collier miss wastel and headmaster Mr Rossi also school nurse nitty Nora! Irvington Center - 1960's; W.T. I couldn't remember the name of the cinema, but it was on Green Lanes, near The Triangle on the east side. All in advance of any actual details. Little did we know when we saw Shirley Bassey at her first performance, that she would go on to become such a great star. As Mr. Auger sed want to be a farmer eh-eh-young-un? I assume there was no ammunition in the house, though! Annyway.back to on the North side an them basketsI remembers a cafe at this location. Hazy memory? My parents told me that they, as newly weds, lived in a flat over the Dolls Hospital in Palmers Green. Many years later when I was adult he told me what he saw. & knickers etc. The shop later became Tesco. Details of the garage are in my 1963 copy of the Jaguar Sales & Service Facilities in the United Kingdom. Further up from Ashwells towards Devonshire Rd.was a beautiful shop selling china and glass.This was close to the shop with the heavy coffee smella quite small shop which was probably next door to the 2nd. There was a car dealership at the top end of Hedge Lane on the site currently occupied by Yaser Halim. No self-service yet. The other memory was of the caf Doms (Dave Todd 1/7/14) where they sold really delicious ice cream too! My father, Bert Hart, worked for Allen & Appleyard making furniture. A hardware emporium and a very old fashioned (even then) gift/tobacco /sweet shop toward the end of the parade. Many of those have of course passed now. My understanding is that the building was originally built as a roller-skating rink, and then became a garage of sorts with just a few pumps virtually on the pavement. Broomfield House, in Broomfield Park, remains a burnt-out shell despite numerous redevelopment proposals and an appearance on the BBC2 programme Restoration. For my Dad, Out of Town only got better when the theme changed from Max Bygraves to the lovely Improvisacion, A Granada, Cantiga Arabe written by the Spanish composer Francisco Elxes Torrega. Probably some of my first photographs were taken there. I have vague recollections of my mother taking us to what seemed quite a posh tea shop called Shepherds which was on Aldermans Hill opposite the park, does anybody remember this? This was for medical reasons (wheezy chest and pneumonia). I went back to PG last year for a look around and was amazed at all the cars parked in my old road, Lynbridge Grdns as when I lived there there were none. He was ARP in WW2 and a member of Fives Clubafter the war ended 5s Club held a party for local children in the club house. One old lady lost her life in the fire. Dad was in the ARP with your uncle, I have been trying to find some photos of the ARP at Palmers Green but as yet not successful. By 1908, when they had their first son Ronald, later an eminent doctor, they were living in Eaton Park Road but by 1911 they had set up home at 48 Fox Lane. Lovely caf. He was a brilliant dancer and he and his partner won many competitions in the old days. Local pickup. This was a more calm shop selling much the same things as the other one. Did your dad run a newspaper stand by The Fox. The wood walls remained! All will be revealed on Google Street View. Once in, the shop was very narrow and long with coats of all sorts hanging along the walls. The garage was, or became Kennings opposite Camera Craft. The 70 volunteers in only one group working towards a Better Palmers Green is really, really impressive. I have some letters Hospital. The smell of freshly ground coffee from the Home and Colonial grocers at top of the High Street. The headmistress was Miss Belfontaine. Annyway, do you ave a clue as to whether the proprietor ,Mr. Pogson was related to THE Mr. E. O. Pogson. When a change of scenery was called for, it was all off to the Amelia coffee bar in Oakwood. although i dont remember it having a cafe, maybe it did before my time though. Hi Victoria, I remember the milkman well, his horse was called Dobbin and Mum used to get me running out in the road with a bucket and shovel if he dropped his business near us so it would be good for the roses in her garden. yore memories are late stuff to me for my writins as I sink into the westI remembers Janes an Adams afore the lectric shop hexpansion.in my days the winders were boarded up..just a sq.ft peepole like all shops (Ma an I urried past on our Fridy night out to Palmadium Pictures (Ma wouidnt go to the Queens, bit seedy she sed)(no one looked in them dark doorways then cos o things goin on! AU $25.00. Poultney and his Perlice in the Guardroom. I lived at no46 Conway road, My mother knew your parents. In 2018 I interviewed the then manager of Forty Hall Farm for a The news about the vineyard's problems reminded me of a couple of things that Kate McGeevor told me. Yore Dad probably employed my Dad (as a freelance) their musical doins seems to ave run parallels. Devonshire Road. As she asked for opera top petticoats and long legged knickers the woman behind the counter would operate the very cleaver drawers lining the walls holding the goods. He also made excellent onion omelettes. An album is a way to save a selection of Frith photos, maps and memories that are of interest to you. Back in London, knuckling down to school at Merchant Taylors proved a rude awakening but he was still able to gain a place at Kings College to study veterinary science before disaster struck: a collapse in James Hargreaves business and Jacks plans to marry meant that Jack had to abandon his studies and get a job writing advertising copy for Spratts Dob Biscuits at Unilever before moving into the theatre, variety and then radio and finally TV. After my first day in Old olborn never wore the suit agin at work or come to think o it, any suit (retired 1988). I lived in Pasteur Gardens from 1960 to 1966, and went to Oakthorpe School and the Latymer. I dont remember it being a bomb site though, Hi Jennie, Had good times in Broomfield park and fishing in Grovelands park lake. The bombs which fell in Green Lanes/Princes Avenue referred to earlier were caused because one of our anti-aircraft guns which were mounted on the railway line shot off the back of a plane carrying bombs to drop on London and the whole stick fell there. After more than 20 years of discussion, the North Circular A406 was widened to two lanes each way at Bounds Green,[when?] Yes the coal man also had a horse and cart to make deliveries. I was in my late teens when it was opened. I lived in Winchmore Hill while married and enjoyed the playing field that is now Sainsburys and Baker, butcher and tea shop with the Green by Broadwalk and have fond memories of PG and WH as a young man. The only place Ive ever found an equivalent to Doms, is in the home of ice cream, Italy and thats a long way to go for a cornet!!! I met him later as a tenant in one of his many properties and worked for him for a short while in the 90s. I really love this website for bringing back all those memories stored in the depths of our brains. Its Sunday lunchtime. You must be signed-in to your Frith account to post a comment. My father was in the home guard and attended when the bomb dropped at that site, it was a dance hall at the time. Ive only just found your comment. Also the lady who sold us orange flavoured ice cubes for 1 penny . I also attended Hazelwood school and remember Mrs bellefontaine I am now 66 years old. Me I also was in the cubs and then the scouts,153 North London which met at the Congregational church at the end of Burford Gardens where my sister also got married around 1967 I think. Hi Reg. Good times. Hi Raymond I lived in Madeira Road. Again has anyone any info on Bruno? There have been theatre productions, celebrity drinkers, a ghost, a comedy club, and community cinema. Definitely around 1958 when Bezazz opened: frothy coffee in tiny glass cups. Wishin you Happy New Year! Served by waitresses in smart black dresses with white aprons and little frilly hats. When I read Jenny H & Martins comments about Doctors, it reminded me of the first one I had. For the coronation, we all went to the Ritz not on the day itself to see it on the big screen. would go down there most nights and you need only buy one coffee & that had to last you all evening what great times in there !!!! I would go and visit her with my mother when I was quite small and then, when I was a teenager, I helped her during school holidays by making sandwiches at a sandwich bar inside the shop to the right of the front door. Dr Baxter used some of the rooms for his surgery and, I would imagine, must have lived there in the rest of the house. WebPalmers Green Station (D) is 158 meters away, 3 min walk. We called them Labour Exchanges and people were made to queue outside. with various junction improvements. Doc Meldrum had a most interesting signature it resembled WWWWWWWW Bus routes 34, 102, 121, 141, 232, 299, 329, W4, W6, W9 and the N29 operate locally. Annyway I have told already of my Mum on this lovely chat previous, being part-time life saver and attendant at THE POOL, she could not swim a stroke. He was no secret in the new marriage, but remained in Copenhagen with his grandmother. Sylvia. Try putting dance hall into search, or I will find the link for you later! Annyway she, (my Ma) also directed me to buy my first suit from them (powder blue with just a touch o pink pin stripes) for my first day to work in 1950. Hi Gerry, I,m not sure but you could well be right as I do not remember any other type of restaurant there, Regards Brian. The main foreign languages are Turkish, spoken by 795 people, and Greek, spoken by 605. As previous I lived in the Larches from 1938 at no 64. You walked up a long gravel path under the pergola to get to the house which had dark wooden panelling etc., very posh! Website Terms of Service Contact UsRegularLabs.EmailProtector.unCloak("ep_81d610ff", true); Switch to Mobile Version, Palmers Green Town Centre Improvement Project 2012: Survey responses, Friends of the Lakes Estate Conservation Area, captured on film at the opening ceremony in this footage, When nearly 3 million emergency food parcels are needed, it's time to Guarantee our Essentials, Government rejects London Assembly call for devolution of suburban rail services, Council proposing new active travel route through Palmers Green, Come to the aid of Enfield's special vineyard. The headmistress, Miss Hughes must have been about 110, My class teacher was a woman aptly named Mrs Dark a horrible and spiteful woman. The first large-scale developments were on the Old Park estate between Fox Lane and Aldermans Hill, and the Hazelwood Park Estate between Hazelwood Lane and Hedge Lane. I remember the entrance to Appleyards next to the post office. N21. Operated by London Buses and Go Ahead London, the Palmers Green to Tottenham bus service departs from Melville Gardens and arrives in Victoria Road Edmonton. Remember the Pet Shop across the road from there, selling all manner of exotic animals (would be prohibited today) including Marmaset monkeys! I remember having lunch with you on quite a number of occasions when I came down after moving to Bedfordshire, then Milton Keynes. We were spoilt for choice for cinemas at that time with the 2 in Palmers Green, Southgate, Regal at Edmonton, Enfield and Bowes Road and they all had a different atmosphere. Dr Stewart was a wonderful Dr who never seem to rush you, yet never seemed to run late with his apt & made you feel really at ease. I lived at 409 Green Lanes in1960. My grandmother lived at 50 Old Park Road, opposite Bloomfield Park, and I went to school at Franklin House School in Palmerston Road from 1955 to 1960, then the Winchmore Hill Collegiate School from 1960 to 1962. In the 50s there was a shop towards the end of Palmers Green (on the right hand side as you went toward Winchmore Hill) that ground coffee. And gloves which were cleverly (!) The lived AT 56, Lightcliffe Road and granddad worked at a city bank. Memories Community I learned from research that my grandmother had died in 1970, aged 45 in Essex. Used to live in Palmers Green (1976-1983). Hi Anna, I remember the tea shop next to t he. Can somebody help with this? That would have been where visitors could wave to their loved ones in the hospital. Have our latest blog posts and archive news delivered directly to your Hi. WebPalmers Mens Size Large Purple Checkered Button Up Short Sleeve Shirt. Palmers Green is a suburban area and electoral ward in North London, England, within the London Borough of Enfield. Thanks David, my son has just shown me some pictures of that dreadful scene at Sidney Ave but I think I must be losing the plot because I really dont remember it being a bomb site after the war. Where are you now and all the others from these years? Not in my collection still but maybe will turn up on Ebay or Boot Fair. Rosalie lived in Palmers Green during the war, and provided this memory of her wartime life as part of the BBC project the WW2 Peoples War, an online archive of wartime memories contributed by members of the public and gathered by the BBC. However, local schools do still use Arnos Grove, Southgate, Edmonton Green pools etc. Hey are you the same Anne Poole from Southgate SC. I fondly remember "Barrowell Green swimming pool. We moved to Crawley in about 1955 or 6. I also got a passion for steam trains watching them working the sidings at the station. I also remember going to the Intimate Theatre with my mother every Tuesday evening. The price stickers rather than bar codesThe staff cafeteria the bag searches as you left the building after a shift etc etc. I think that this garage was called Saul & Slatters a John Slatter who worked there, married my cousin Margaret Cantwell in 1962.

Why Is Allegra Gucci Not In House Of Gucci, Articles P