motown extended versions

Cruisin Smokey Robinson / U.S. Where Did Our Love Go The Supremes / U.S. Isley Brothers Motown "This Old Heart Of Mine (Is Weak For You)" My Extended Version! Pop U.S. R&B U.S. Dance/Disco, 7. With its bright melody, inviting title hook, and effervescently insistent beat, the Supremes third Number One hit is a master class in hiding a heartbreaking message in a shiny package; Diana Ross sings about having it so bad for a boy that she leaves her friends behind so she can clear time for him to come back into her life which he obviously isnt going to do. 4 on the Billboard R&B chart. Composed by Smokey and his sister Rose, Quiet Storm was not a huge pop hit, but it represents two things: a new genre of soul, which gave radio programmers an innovative format called, yes, Quiet Storm; and Motown coming to terms with the fact its music was not entirely for kids and parties anymore. Let Your Hair Down Temptations / U.S. R&B, 5. Pop*, 11. Of course, it didnt sound nearly as Dickensian as that since production group the Clan dressed it in funky guitar, schmaltzy strings, and chimes, and Ross indefatigable grace made it sound charming. Penny Lover Lionel Richie / U.S. First Of May: A Key Date In The Early Bee Gees Calendar, Live At The Apollo: Soul Dynamite In Harlem From James Brown, (Is This The Way To) Amarillo: Comic Relief Takes Tony Christie Back To Texas, Renaissance Man In A Cowboy Hat: Country Phenomenon Tim McGraw, Mulan: A Disney Soundtrack Fit For A Warrior, Little Walter: The True King Of Blues Harp, Karma: Pharoah Sanders Spiritual Jazz Masterpiece, Aerosmith Announces Peace Out Farewell Tour, My PeopleHold On: Eddie Kendricks Spiritual Anthem, Rare Stamps Vol.1: A Special Delivery From JJ Barnes And Steve Mancha. The way the music is produced and mixed, usually with echo and reverb, means that you pretty much can't remove a sound completely without trace. Cloud Nine was the first of the Temptations psychedelic singles, influenced by the revolutionary audience-bridging soul power of Sly and the Family Stone. Smiling Faces Sometimes The Undisputed Truth / U.S. R&B**, 8. Three years after proclaiming that Young Girls Are My Weakness, the group was praising a mighty mighty who was built like an Amazon. A brick house means shes stacked, Commodores frontman Lionel Richie once said. Good investment. A song of deep longing for a missing lover, the track itself is far from forlorn, thanks to songwriters Holland-Dozier-Holland and the Funk Brothers pumping rhythms. Create a SoundCloud account Something diffrent for you. Shockingly, Ooo Baby Baby was not a UK hit, though it made US No.16 in 1965. Written by Smokey Robinson, this was Mary Wells biggest hit for the label and more or less marked the end of her tenure there. Pop U.S. Stay The Temptations / U.S. Written by Nickolas Ashford and Valerie Simpson, Aint No Mountain High Enough melded gospel roots with heavenly soul within a musical backdrop that swooped from gentle valleys to staggering highs. Stoned Love The Supremes / U.S. R&B, 23. Far from the tales of carefree romance popular in Sixties Motown, the song cautions against the smiling faces that pretend to be your friend and dont tell the truth. The group wouldnt reach that level of success again, but the song earned notable covers by everyone from Rare Earth to Joan Osborne. Pop U.S. R&B, 22. Dont Look Any Further Dennis Edwards featuring Seidah Garrett, #1 cover version by Kane Gang: U.S. Dance/Disco, 1. I was so happy whenever I got a hit record on one of the artists, said Smokey Robinson, the labels greatest songwriting genius. 17. Pop, 21. Pop U.S. R&B Canada, 10. Mamas Pearl The Jackson 5 / U.S. R&B*, 2. Too Hot Ta Trot The Commodores / U.S. R&B, 14. In between, they taped utterly amazing records at Motown, such as this bruising 1966 dancer. J.D. Gladys Knight Set To Open 2023 Hampton Court Palace Festival, Teena Maries Remix Collection By John Morales Now Available Digitally, Motown Museum To Re-Open For Public Tours After Three-Month Closure, 702, Tame Impala, And Brick & Lace: Currently Trending Songs, Best Iggy Pop Songs: 20 Tracks With An Insatiable Lust For Life, Fancy: Behind Bobbie Gentrys Womens Lib Statement. I do like the Motown extended versions that are on You Tube by mosogotam. Adult Contemporary U.S. Dance/Disco Canada Ireland, 2. Motown was never short of material that cast a male singer as uncertain about a relationship, but the 1968 hit Does Your Mama Know About Me touches a different nerve, as a once-bitten, twice-shy Taylor wonders whether his ethnicity will see him rejected by his new loves family. The Undisputed Truth did it first, in 1972, but The Temptations landed the smash hit the following year with this version full of badass badness. On Bended Knee Boyz II Men / U.S. Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me) The Temptations / U.S. Signed, Sealed, Delivered (Im Yours) Stevie Wonder / U.S. J.D. But the not-quite original is the best! But he returned from a European tour with a hard-driving track influenced by the Rolling Stones for writing partners Sylvia Moy and Henry Crosby to polish off. In fact, many times Ultimate classical rendition of Diana Ross' Ain't No Mountain High Enough with the London Symphony Orchestra. When it comes to Motown, sometimes its more fun to print the legend. Pop U.S. R&B U.S. Pop U.S. R&B, 18. Written and produced by Smokey Robinson, the track is a fluttering, soft, ultra-feminine tale of fidelity, with Wells coyly rejecting the advances of other men. They turned Too Many Fish in the Sea into a timeless feminist pep talk for anyone going through love troubles, with Gladys Horton as the voice of wisdom: I dont want nobody who dont want me/Theres too many fish in the sea! Benny Benjamins drums really second that emotion. Love Hangover Diana Ross / U.S. Yester-Me, Yester-You, Yesterday Stevie Wonder / Norway, 9. Awesome and atmospheric, this US No.1 wasn . Man, he was one of the major forces in the Motown sound, Stevie Wonder told Rolling Stone in 1973, just a few years after Benjamins fatal stroke. 2023 Rolling Stone, LLC. You Keep Me Hangin On The Supremes / U.S. Higher Ground Stevie Wonder / U.S. You Are The Sunshine of My Life Stevie Wonder / U.S. With a chorus driven into your brain by a guitar like an angry hornet, this has the pop fashion of 1967 all over it. You Cant Hurry Love The Supremes / U.S. All This Love DeBarge / U.S. What a guy. Walk in her shoes? Here well show you why. Ill Be There The Jackson 5 / U.S. For as scary as Stubbs sounds at some points (like when the music turns overcast the second he says her name and proclaims You belong to me) but theres also something endearing about it all, and like every great Four Tops single, its impossible not to get swept away by the chorus. Pop U.S. R&B U.K. Australia Canada Ireland, 15. As a song, End of the Road was a way for writers Kenneth Babyface Edmonds and Daryl Simmons to commiserate about their divorces (with an assist from L.A. Reid). One of Motowns best paranoid psychedelic funk songs penned by Norman Whitfield and lyricist Barrett Strong. The Supremes would eventually record their own version, though it wasnt released until 1987. Can I Get a Witness had a strong impact on British soul fans too; the Rolling Stones put a version on their debut album and even wrote their own answer of sorts, an instrumental vamp called Now, Ive Got a Witness, and Dusty Springfield begged and shouted her way through her fantastic version in 1964. Since Smokey Robinson wrote Marvin Gayes first Number 1 R&B hit, Ill Be Doggone, standard Motown operating procedure dictated that Robinson produce the follow-up, too. On the tune, one of her first forays into more mature, soul-music territory, she narrates the tale of an illegitimate child, racked with guilt, scorned by her mother (and society), and embarrassed by her own existence. But I will definitely work on more when I get some time to be creative. Discover the best Motown love songs. 4: 1964 Various The Complete Motown Singles | Vol. First Of May: A Key Date In The Early Bee Gees Calendar, Live At The Apollo: Soul Dynamite In Harlem From James Brown, (Is This The Way To) Amarillo: Comic Relief Takes Tony Christie Back To Texas, Renaissance Man In A Cowboy Hat: Country Phenomenon Tim McGraw, Mulan: A Disney Soundtrack Fit For A Warrior, Little Walter: The True King Of Blues Harp, Karma: Pharoah Sanders Spiritual Jazz Masterpiece, Jon Pardi Invited To Join Grand Ole Opry At Stagecoach By Guy Fieri And Alan Jackson, Red Hot Chili Peppers Flea Shares His Three Favorite Basslines, Killer Mike Sets 2023 North American Solo Tour, Carrie Underwood To Welcome Listeners Into Carries Country With New SiriusXM Channel, Lil Wayne Invites Fans To Welcome To Tha Carter Global Livestream Concert, LE SSERAFIM Head Up A Rebellion In Nile Rodgers Collaboration, Unforgiven, Aerosmith Announces Peace Out Farewell Tour, My PeopleHold On: Eddie Kendricks Spiritual Anthem, Rare Stamps Vol.1: A Special Delivery From JJ Barnes And Steve Mancha, that plaudit going to Gladys Knight And The Pips, classic titles and under-the-radar favorites. Gladys Knight casts an eye over a love shes lost and knows she could do better than his woman. Pop U.S. R&B, 7. Martha Reeves and her soul sisters deliver a song youve heard over and over but it still sounds fantastic. Pop U.S. R&B, 1. Slippery When Wet The Commodores / U.S. R&B, 16. The Boss Diana Ross / U.S. Dance/Disco, 16. K.H. Pop U.S. R&B Canada, 10. Tina Cherry Georgio / U.S. Dance/Disco, 13. With Dianas name now in lights, The Supremes set about tackling the problem of delivering soul in a psychedelic year (1967) by making a psychedelic soul record. Pop**, 17. D.B. ALL FORUMS Four Tops "Bernadette" My BIG Extended Version!! One doozy of a catchy song, penned by Motown backroom legends Holland-Dozier-Holland alongside Canadian singer Richard Dean Taylor. The world-famous Supreme queens 1980 meeting with disco maestros Chic was not without controversy: she remixed the album they created for her. Because they were my brothers and sisters.. The Tears of A Clown Smokey Robinson & the Miracles [U.K. version] / U.K. 18. This song was never a hit, not even a single. Ross uses a single tempo shift to great, dance-floor-destroying effect in Love Hangover, vaulting from breathy, besotted, slinking funk to darting disco, with cymbals shushing like angry passengers on an Amtrak quiet car. Sam Armstrong, The Spinners would go off to record more for Atlantic Records, but you can understand why Motown wanted to get in on the ground floor of this talented vocal group. Blowin In The Wind Stevie Wonder / U.S. R&B, 3. Wherever I Lay My Hat (Thats My Home) Marvin Gaye, 1. The second phase of Stevies career saw him creating some of the most life-affirming Motown songs of the 60s, and this hymn to Ms. Im Coming Out Diana Ross / U.S. Dance/Disco, 4. Sam Armstrong, The Isley Brothers only recorded songs for Motown for a short time, but they made a mighty impact with this pleading HollandDozierHolland gem. J.D. Written by Berry Gordy and Janie Bradford in 1959, Motowns first hit offers a roadmap of the labels future: The lyric encapsulates Motowns drive for commercial as well artistic success, while the piano bass line is R&B blossoming into pop in real time. Here's the Diana I have: Diana Ross - Diana Alexlotl, Jul 26, 2020 #5 One of my favourite Motown duets ever. The early 1970s were the glory days of blaxploitation flicks and their soundtracks: Shaft had Isaac Hayes, Superfly had Curtis Mayfield, Slaughters Big Rip-Off had James Brown. That Girl Stevie Wonder / U.S. In Motown narratives, Smokey Robinson is often praised for his achingly beautiful work with the Miracles and his writing and production for Mary Wells and the Temptations, among others. His hoarse voice fronted a slew of hits, including this guttural dance-craze romp (it suits The Pony). Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever (DVD) at the best online prices at eBay! The Complete Motown Singles | Vol. SOULFUL DETROIT Forum K.G. Pretty far, it turns out: This 1965 song hit Number One on the R&B chart and was in the Top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100. Tryin To Beat The Morning Home T.G. You Cant Turn Me Off (In The Middle Of Turning Me On) High Inergy / U.S. R&B**, 12. Rub You The Right Way Johnny Gill / U.S. R&B, 4. Pop U.S. R&B Canada, 8. Give It To Me Baby Rick James / U.S. R&B U.S. Dance/Disco, 8. James Jamerson, Bongo Eddie, Robert White, Earl Van Dyke. My Love Lionel Richie / U.S. Thats unfortunate, because Robinsons body of work in this decade is frequently spellbinding, perhaps nowhere more than Quiet Storm, an album that lent its name to an entire subgenre of misty, meticulous R&B. Pop, 14. Heat Wave Martha & the Vandellas / U.S. R&B, 9. Some albums have as many as 50, 100, or 150 different versions. The ruler of the tear-soaked adult ballad, Gladys Knight donned her dancing footwear for her debut Motown single, released on its Soul imprint in 1966. In the years leading up to that album, Houston had been struggling to break through on the charts, and this disco take was even originally meant for label darling Diana Ross instead. Someday Well Be Together Diana Ross & the Supremes / U.S. SEARCH Forum The strutting foundation of All Night Long is unimpeachable, a squirt of bass notes scattered around a dry, echoey snare drum. That Berry Gordy turned his independent Detroit-based soul imprint into one of the biggest record labels of all time is achievement enough. Sublabel Apollo Theatre Records Parent Label: UMG Recordings, Inc. Label [l61002] Edit Label Pop U.S. R&B Canada Norway Switzerland, 3. 22. Shes built like a brick shithouse means that shes strong. Like Kool and the Gangs Celebration, the song outhouse references and all has been so culturally ubiquitous for so long, its transcended mere funk to seep into the worlds cross-generational musical DNA. Always bigger in Britain than he was in the US, Ruffin nonetheless made US No.7 with a Motown song that turns on the soul taps until his cup of misery overflows. Marvin wasnt the first singer to record I Heard It Through The Grapevine, and wasnt the first to hit with it, that plaudit going to Gladys Knight And The Pips. Adult Contemporary, 10. My Girl The Temptations / U.S. Such a brilliant song, and Marvin & Tammi were so adorable together. Motown/UMe has announced the latest element in the 60th anniversary celebrations of Motown Records, with the 28 June global release of a newly-expanded edition of 2008s Motown: The Complete No. Pop, 12. For the breakdown in the middle, Richie asked a friend who worked at the United Nations to recommend some African sayings. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); About Us Contributors Terms of Service Privacy Policy 2023 uDiscover Music, Jon Pardi Invited To Join Grand Ole Opry At Stagecoach By Guy Fieri And Alan Jackson, Red Hot Chili Peppers Flea Shares His Three Favorite Basslines, Killer Mike Sets 2023 North American Solo Tour, Carrie Underwood To Welcome Listeners Into Carries Country With New SiriusXM Channel, Lil Wayne Invites Fans To Welcome To Tha Carter Global Livestream Concert, LE SSERAFIM Head Up A Rebellion In Nile Rodgers Collaboration, Unforgiven, 702, Tame Impala, And Brick & Lace: Currently Trending Songs, Best Iggy Pop Songs: 20 Tracks With An Insatiable Lust For Life, Fancy: Behind Bobbie Gentrys Womens Lib Statement. We are keeping you music alive Duke! I Want You Back The Jackson 5 / U.S. Sir Duke is like a challenge: How could anyone listen to its Lindy-Hopping horns and funky bass, its surprise slide-whistle, and the warm growl in Stevie Wonders voice when he sings, You can feel it all over, and not smile? Scroll down for the full tracklisting, and pre-order it here. Pop, 12. E.L. The title phrase was inspired by a BMI awards ceremony, where one of the winners, songwriter Ronnie Mack of Hes So Fine, was eulogized by his mother, who accepted the award after his death from Hodgkins lymphoma. Poor Bernadette, she never had a chance of living up to Levi Stubbs unrealistic expectations of her. All rights reserved. Stevies 1976 tribute to the swing jazz giants who inspired him as a kid is delivered with such joy that it could have been the work of Sir Duke Ellington himself though far funkier. Pop U.S. R&B, 7. Older dancers know Edwards and Garretts single reaches back to Abraxame, an underappreciated track from the group Barrabas, which had some success in New York clubs in the early Seventies. K.G. Was it about dancing or riots? HEADLINE TOPICS It was the start of several brokenhearted hits for her, and the songs gaping vulnerability touched a nerve inspiring versions by Aretha Franklin and the Clash, among others. 371. Its a perfect marriage of two distinct and talented voices. Boogie Down Eddie Kendricks / U.S. In search of rock cred at the end of the Sixties, Motown started a subsidiary label, Rare Earth, named after one of its first signings, a Detroit band. They performed it for the first of their 19 appearances on The Ed Sullivan Show. Rhythm of The Night DeBarge / U.S. R&B U.S. Girl I Got My Eyes On You Today / U.S. R&B, 17. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. One of the greatest Motown songs ever. J.N. Im Still Waiting Diana Ross / U.K. Ireland, 7. Truly Lionel Richie / U.S. The Billboard Book of Number One R&B Hits, first plying band members with shots of Rmy Martin, and later providing Ross with a little taste of vodka. Love Hangover became a Number One hit in 1976, presaging Ross success with disco on 1980s. Shoeshine Boy Eddie Kendricks / U.S. R&B, 13. If youre not in the mood, this can almost be too intimate but who isnt in the mood when Marvin starts to sing? Pop Australia, 13. Sail On The Commodores / U.S. Pop U.S. R&B U.K. Australia Ireland, 10. My World Is Empty Without You is one of Motowns most obsessive beats Diana Ross gets haunted in her lonely house, staring at her four walls, but the sadness is all in the rhythm. The Motown Acapella Intros Mix mixed by Martin T Martin T MegaMixes 2 years ago R&B & Soul 167 4 1 Martin T MegaMixes 138 188 Report Follow Martin T MegaMixes and others on SoundCloud. Its a good list, but I would have made some substitutions from this list: Too Busy Thinking About My Baby Marvin Gaye / U.S. R&B, 3. What a voice; what a soul. K.H. Pop U.S. R&B*, 24. Baby Im For Real The Originals / U.S. R&B, 6. Has there ever been a gentler breakup song than Easy? You Cant Hurry Love, My Baby Loves Me, Ooh, Baby, Baby, I Want You Back, Aint That Peculiar, My Smile is Just A Frown (Turned Upside Down), Chain Reaction, Signed, Sealed & Delivered,The Boss, Quicksand,Take Me In Your Arms (Rock Me A Little While),You Beat Me To The Punch. Of course, musical tastes are subjective, and that will always be true. Pop 3.. After defining the sound of young America with the mid-Sixties pop elegance of Mary Wells, the Miracles, Marvin Gaye, and the Temptations, and the girl-group glory of the Supremes, the Marvelettes, and Martha and the Vandellas, the labels two most visionary artists, Gaye and Stevie Wonder, pushed against Gordys dictatorial rule to create adventurous, socially conscious landmark Seventies albums like Whats Going On and Innervisions, which expanded Motowns scope while staying true to its core hitmaking values. 'extended' versions with an 'acapella' track intro Motown Mix Acapella Various Medley J.D. Marvin Gaye made his big score with, , the 1972 thriller about a ghetto kingpin named Mister T. (The poster called him One Cat Who Plays Like an Army!) It was his only film soundtrack, but it was a smash he went Top 10 with his bluesy theme song. End of The Road Boyz II Men / U.S. Nastay as a busted tooth, slick as an oil spill, this Motown song kicks butt. Happy People The Temptations / U.S. R&B, 12. For Wonder, the tune was simply a feel-good tribute to Count Basie, Ella Fitzgerald, and Sir Duke himself, Duke Ellington. Pop U.S. R&B, 20. Motown stars like Robinson, the Commodores, Diana Ross, and Michael Jackson kept churning out great music through the funk, disco, and easy-listening eras, and hitmakers like Rick James, Lionel Richie, DeBarge, and Boyz II Me kept the label all over the radio in the slick Eighties and into the Nineties. I Second That Emotion Smokey Robinson & the Miracles / U.S. R&B, 15. It will be available digitally and in the eye-catching physical release, in which the 11 CDs are housed in a replica of Motowns original Hitsville USA headquarters in Detroit, Michigan, now home to the Motown Museum.

Sharon Ramsey Wedding Ring, Standing Rock Sioux Tribe Enrollment Application, Running A Tuck Shop, Lgbt Friendly Doctors Columbus Ohio, Brian Conley Tv Shows, Articles M