life expectancy of an infantry soldier in combat

Once they were on the continent in 1944, other than the initial days of the Battle of the Bulge, there were few withdrawals in the face of the enemy. It was a daily challenge to know who your real enemy was. The rifle companies of the 276th Infantry Division arrived in the French town of Brumath on the day after Christmas, 1944. Our patrols were typically about 14 hours 24/7 We operated of old LSTs and large barges. Living in the ground led them to be filthy, and staying alive drove them to tolerate it, of themselves and their squadmates. We did interdictions, blocks and other fun things on the river. RTO, John Scheur. That means you lose five RTOs in 5 seconds. There were instances when some men used grenades to try to blast the frozen soil, a practice which was quickly stopped by the sergeants. Sometimes walkie-talkie sets were substituted, they weighed far less but offered a more limited range. Out of the 3,000,000 men and women in our armed forces and reserves, we have lost 4,500 in this 9 year war. Altogether his burden was over eighty pounds. I was told my life expectancy was about 45 secs during a fire fight because of the weapons and demo I carried. Assigned to HHC 1/77 Armor, 1st, BDE 5th Inf. When a squad was ordered out on a patrol it usually fell to the squad leader to decide who went and who stayed behind, unless he had orders from the higher-ups directing him who to send. I personally believe and agree with previous posts that when its your time, not much you can do. When elements of the 276th Infantry Division were moved from their consolidation camp to the front it took a journey of four days, in freezing conditions, with many unplanned stops due to conditions on the railroad and at the front. If you have other information let me know. The lowest rated category on Indeed for Army Infantryman is work-life balance which makes sense as having a family while serving in the U.S. Armed Forces is far from easy. Related Article Air Force Combat Controller (CCT) (1C2X1): Career Details. However, you do receive added pay bonuses for rank and years of service. I carried the PRC-25 Radio most of that time. An infantry platoon commander in combat had an average of 6 weeks life. My 31-months in-country was in three Direct Support US Army aviation units, 15TC BN, First Cav, 335TH, Americal and 17TH Cav 101ST ABD65-71In the last battle I was directly involved, LAM SON 719, into Laos, cost army aviation units over 600-helicopters shot down or battle damagedthe NVA were waiting for our SECRET mission in early 71I was glad to go home at battles end, in March 71 , almost unscathed, I was TDY for my absurd third tourTo the point, many ARVN Rangers, airborne and their other best died in Lam Son 719US Army Infantry were forbidden entry to Laos in 71.. the ARVN were massacredand many US Army pilots and crew mambers were KIA & WIAeven MIA. Very interesting I carried theM 60 for 5 months that gun would cut down anything. The infantrymen didnt know the reasons why they had to fight and too often die for a particular hill, or seemingly useless French farm or village, they simply had to do what they were told. Their war was a personal one, with the enemy when engaged in plain sight, and the casualties inflicted by themselves and their unit revealed before their eyes. His clothing alone weighed more than twenty pounds. Since U.S. Army Infantrymen are the primary land defense for the branch of the military they regularly participate in shooting drills. All they learned from their officers was that it was time to travel on foot. Photography by James Salzano. I saw aircraft loaded with troops explode in mid-air. We were expecting, an attack. An Rtos job was essential, tough,(Carrying the extra weight of the radio transmitter along with his rucksack), and dangerous. I applaud the courage and difficult and all so dangerous job of Roger Herforth when he served as an RTO for the Hawk Recon Platoon of the 101st airborne division in Vietnam.. The name came from the labels painted on the sides of the cars, which in French read 40 Hommes chevaux 8 meaning 40 men or 8 horses. The higher the score on the ASVAB, the better your odds at becoming MOS 11B. Absent an opportunity to prove themselves, these arriving infantrymen found the squad wary of them, and sometimes almost hostile. At this time- senior Army leadership ordered us all to read the Geneva Convention to our troops because of the My Lai debachle. I remember hearing a Lieutenant (Kennedy) say to one of his two platoon RTOs My RTO is Foxtrot Uniform. Copyright 2023 www.OperationMilitaryKids.org. Comments were more interesting than the article it self. To cut the Ho Chi Minh Traila week after the mission endedthe trail was booming with business from the north.. Infantrymen frequently found that their unit was transferred to the command of another division, a means of reinforcing units which had been engaged with the Germans and weakened as a result, or which needed additional men for a counteroffensive. For example, infantry units directed to disrupt German lines in Les Vosges in January 1945 had no idea they were preventing the reinforcement of troops involved in the Battle of the Bulge. To the men, it appeared they were fighting for useless hills. Artillery, and ground forces. In the 1st Cav medics were right behind the rto making them a very easy find also. A Civil War soldier would find that modern axiom very familiar. The first thing my platoon sgt. It was rugged, reliable, and in the hands of a marksman deadly. sweep team,then I heard the choppers and they were blowing the hell out in the tree line then it just got so quiet like nothing The incredibly important role in the U.S. Army is responsible for defending the country through real-life combat. Army Infantryman 11B are riflemen, while Indirect Fire Infantrymen 11C carry mortar weapons systems. For example, life expectancy of Veterans at age 25 population, thus 3.6 and 0.5 life-years smaller income differentials for male and female Veterans, respectively, shown in Tables 17 and 18. There is also training provided on advanced land navigation (day and night) as well as opportunities for leadership positions that are extremely beneficial both in the Army, and with future civilian opportunities. Cruz quite a lot. Cleaning tools and oil were kept in the buttstock. I DISAGREETHE ENEMY WOULD SHOOT THE GUY NEXT TO THE RTO-KNOWING HE WAS THE COMMANDER. The blasts from the AMMO, really lit up the whole area. All of these tasks for MOS 11B are not possible without excellent communication skills as well as an advanced understanding of terrain, methods of warfare, and combat strategies. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_losses_of There were two different groups that flew aeromedical evacuations. The Republic of Vietnam lost 1,018 aircraft and helicopters from January 1964 to September 1973. I will always think/say, we had absolutely no reason for being in that place. Then we learned, appx: 1 mile to our North was, an American AMMO storage area. A sled laden with ammunition is dragged by US infantrymen towards the fighting during the Battle of the Bulge in 1944. Infantrymen in the Second World War quickly learned that everything they needed to know to survive in the field was not part of the training curriculum in basic infantry school. I agree with all of the comments, however I would add Tunnel Rats to the group I was one and saw many of my friends die in those tunnels I was very fortunate or very lucky and was never a lead but was at the tail end. The differing calibers of the two main weapons carried by the infantryman presented a problem. He also carried an equipment bag, ammunition bandolier, backpack, entrenching tool, grenades, rations, canteen, spare socks, a blanket, a half shelter (to sleep under), and whatever personal items he wished. LUCK pure LUCK. I was a 2LT on Hamburger Hill and had 4 RTOs over a 7 day period (excluding the times I ended up carrying my own radio). Some wounded received convalescent leave far behind the lines. What were the life expectancies of soldiers during the Vietnam War. Interesting, I carried a Prick 25, for 2 months. Great information. [1] However, this claim is as much an indictment of US Army personnel practices and miscalculations as it is an indicator of tank crew losses. ASVAB Scores For Air Force Jobs: All 130+ For 2022, How To Choose The Right Military Branch For You, Marine Machine Gunner (MOS 0331): Job Description And Summary, strength requirement and physical profile, Correctable vision must be 20/20 in one eye, Air Force Combat Controller (CCT) (1C2X1): Career Details, Marine Corps Infantry Assault (MOS 0351): Career Details, Army Combat Engineer (MOS 12B): Career Details, Marine Corps Tow Gunner (MOS 0352): Career Details, Marine Corps Scout Sniper (MOS 0317): Career Details, https://www.goarmy.com/careers-and-jobs/browse-career-and-job-categories/combat/infantryman-11b.html, https://www.indeed.com/cmp/U.S.-Army/reviews?fjobtitle=Infantryman, Gas Turbine Systems Technician (GSM and GSE): Career Details, Good Conduct Medal & Ribbon Explained For All 5 Branches, Sea Service Ribbon: All 5 Military Branches Explained, Overseas Service Ribbon Explained For All 6 Military Branches. I was never hit by enemy fire even though they had multiple opportunities after that I was an rto for the company commander and I have to say both jobs were not fun. TONY DISAGREED> hE SAID TAKE A 19 YEAR OLD, WHO HAS JUST TAKEN TWO ROUNDS TO HIS BODY, And IS watching his best friend die from multiple, bleeding wounds he wont give a shit about the Geneva Convention. So I guess I defied the odds. a RTO got killed, it happened within 5 seconds but not that always ALL RTOs got killed. In my tour everyone had the same chance of getting shot. I never saw any correlation as to what MOS a soldier was and their survival rate. He also carried a weapon. The names of the towns and villages were meaningless to the men, most of whom had no knowledge of French geography nor what their destination was. meaning what is the chance of me getting killed in combat. Both served in A 2/18 1st Infantry Division. The Luftwaffe was still a potent threat during the summer of 1944 as the Allies pushed across France. I wasnt aware that they kept life expectancy statistics. Infantryman must know how to receive and implement combat orders, direct deployment of personnel in a number of different operation types (offensive, defensive, retrograde, etc). He used. AS LEADERS IN AMERICAS SERVICES WE MUST BE PROFICIENT AND READY TO ACCOMPLISH OUR MISSIONS- Despite these encampments being located in secured areas, the army being the army demanded sentries around them, and sufficient make work was scheduled to give the men something to do. Mech. John Doever THE MAN I INHERITED THE GUN FROM WASNT SO LUCKY. Depending on the season in which they arrived, the camps could be pleasant or miserable; for example, Mediterranean fall sunshine or the bitter Mistral winds of winter. The Bn & Company I was assigned to, was on the last row of Bldgs. 9 (September 1944) The American Soldier (1949), vol. The American army traveled to Europe by ship, and by a wide variety of ships including troop transports designed and built for the purpose, Liberty ships, converted freighters, and the great ocean liners of the Allies. We observed the rules of the Geneva Convention while the bad guys had no interest in doing so. The infantrymans first encounter with the French or Italians usually took place near these camps. National Archives. So was the increasing use of forward-deployed ambulances, and forward treatment stations, surgeries, and evacuation hospitals. They used the callsign MEDIVAC and were armed. Five RTOs. I was one of the many others I rode river boats in the Mekong Jan 68 to 69. We were probably not too far away on that day. National Archives. The life expectancy of a soldier fighting in Iraq, wether medic or infantry, is measured in terms of years, however, because of the low number of deaths in Iraq (3,000 + in a 5 year war is unheard . July 68 to July 69. KICK ASS AS NEEDED!!! While at the front he faced not only a determined enemy, but ice, snow, rain, mud, bitter cold and stifling heat. All that other stuff about seconds and minutes were story tellers, embellishing things to impress some listeners back home. As they approached and entered the Alsace region this welcome became less enthusiastic. I carried the proc 26 radio after I was asked by my field 1st ( E 7 ) if I would for my platoon . Never knew they had life expectancy stats. Wow I was 31.8 Gun shot Carried model 1200 Winchester shot gun WIA May 68 Article was great. Tony told me that either he or I would greet all incoming troops and we did- and here is the speech we gave to them. They were also in a circular formation. Additionally, you must complete a Combat (CO) ASVAB score of 87. Infantrymen are universal and fearless soldiers who must be ready for any operation, which means that they can be sent to a hot spot at any time. Sore feet and sore backs were part of life. After heavy fighting across France and the Low Countries, it was believed by the Allied High Command that the Germans lacked the ability or the will to launch an assault in the Ardennes, and the troops were there to rest through Christmas. Appx: 6 months in, all of the 543d TC joined forces with the 572d TC. Related Article 5 Best Combat Jobs In The US Navy. The prestigious badge, offered only to infantry and Special Forces Soldiers . I was an Artillery Forward Observer with the Infantry. In that time 4 us kia and 4 wounded. I credit my longetivity to great training at Ft Benning. Ron. I was a grunt with c co. 4/31 196th it inf bade. I do remember when I got short I thought about it a lot more. Instead, they were soon engulfed in the biggest battle of US Army history. I always was told that the life expectancy of a LT was 14 seconds in INITIAL combat versus 9 seconds for an RTO. You were a Great RTO. The Bronze Star was awarded to ALL that were awarded the CIB in WWII because the Infantry accounted for over 70% of the casualties in WWLL BUT NOT 70% )F ALL THE INFANTRY !!! Before you get started, it is important to determine right off the bat if you want to become a U.S. Army Infantryman 11B or Indirect Fire Infantryman 11C. I applaud your courage as I know an RTOs job is essential, difficult (carrying the weight of his radio transmitter, his rifle, his ammo, and his rucksack), and dangerous as the enemy surely wanted to knock out any communications for support. Here are 10 of the most dangerous: 1. The course is intended to provide an intermediate step between the buddy aid -style basic life support taught to every soldier and the advanced life support skills that are taught to US Army Combat Medics and to US Army . An infantrymans link to the desires of the officers of the division was through his squad leader. The casualty rate for the American infantry was high. I was wounded 3 times during the 10 1/2 months I was in-country before being medevacd out in Apr of 68. These men were first loaded onto railcars from the French rolling stock which was called 40 and 8s. As an Infantryman, you may be listed as an MOS 11X. Bathing and shaving were unheard of luxuries at the front, and when units did receive an opportunity to shower it was often through the use of a lister bag shower. *The U.S. Army recently expanded upon its Infantry Training in 2019 to introduce more combative courses, lifesaver courses, day and night land navigation, and different weapons qualifications. happened. Commanders like him were few and far between many were afraid of their own shadow and were only there to get their ticket punched. Basic training and advanced job training are combined into a single course. Veterans of the 289th Infantry Regiment on the road to St. Vith during the Battle of the Bulge in 1944. Four platoons in a rifle company. After consolidating the division and its equipment infantrymen were moved to the front, which by December 1944 was nearing the Siegfried Line, defensive fortifications protecting Germany from invasion from the west. Totally bogus. Your article was quite interesting. 10 1/2 months in the bush. Comfortable with the results of his inspection, the soldier sits on a nearby log, powders his feet and inserts them into his damp boots, making sure to tuck his fatigue pants into the tops before tying the laces - a preventive measure to keep leeches and ticks from crawling up the legs. Men of the 47th Infantry Regiment pass through Remagen on their way to the Ludendorf Bridge, March 1945. Infantrymen in France and Germany frequently encountered such temporary graves, most of which when found was opened and the body reinterred in cemeteries in Europe, where many still lie today. The key may be the word initial since we became more savvy with successive combats and had improved survivability. 11 c mos , meaning I was also cross trained for mortars . A radio operator carried the normal load for a rifleman, as well as a radio which weighed nearly forty pounds. US Army. It was an HONOR and a privilege to serve with these brave men for my 11 month tour. Interesting but something is missing. Re: Helicopter Crews (Medevac & Dustoff): To my knowledge, only the 1st Cav Medevac had M60s for protection. 1ST MAW 66-68. It was just part of the job. /. my left and saw this rice paddie farmer and his ox and I was trying to motion him to get down he just looks at me and starts Related Article: Army Height And Weight Standards. Many were damaged, and the Germans had left them behind as they withdrew because they considered them useless. I also was 2/327 B company. However, it was the discretion of the individual crewmen if they wanted to carry personal weapons or not. Some were in action later the same day. Training to become MOS 11B is open to both men and women. Many were killed or wounded ! If a battle ensued, a triumphant army would lose 5% of its men but a defeated army would usually lose around 15% of its force. An interesting essay, even more interesting are the comments. As a Huey door gunner, when we left the ground on a mission, I always thought that this mission would be my last! Amen I was a machine gunner for 7 months 503rd infantry 173rd airborne and you hit the nail right on the head. At age 55, World War 2 Veterans They were located, next to us, in/on Long Bhin Post. Total fantasy. Axes were useful, but not all men in the squad needed to carry one. I have a fried Who is killed in Vietnam six months before I got there cause of death was other how would I find out since his parents are long gone, Do a search for his name n Coffeltdatabase.org, Sir, would you mind me translating this into Spanish and getting it posted in our blog? Soldiers also act in the mobilization of vehicles, weaponry, troops, and more. The infantry rotated troops to and out of the front, either as it receded while the Germans withdrew to new defensive positions or as replacement troops took over, giving the squads an opportunity to rest, shower, obtain fresh clothing and recover from combat. The infantry rifleman during winter bore a load of over eighty pounds, the BAR man nearly one hundred. In the last 5 years the symptoms of PTSD and AO are starting getting worse in me. (and yes, you cant ask them, so it would have to be derived from the AA-reports and survivors). Expenditures for a body in a combat zone? They accomplished the task with little knowledge of the tactical situation which drove them to take and abandon positions, engage and disengage the enemy, sleep in the open in driving rain, sleet, snow, or the hot humid summer of 1944. Newspapers and magazines were available for the troops as were recreation activities such as baseball and softball, volleyball, and during the warm months swimming if a suitable body of water was near. Fellow members soon learned the strengths and weaknesses of each other, who could be relied on and who would shirk his duties. Photo above is of Stanley Kober with RTO, John Scheur. It is an important role of MOS 11B and just one of their many responsibilities. I had scary thoughts about myself humping the bush as a RTO, I was a real puny guy back then. Although a partially discharged clip could be ejected from the rifle it was common practice not to do so. He said when they were ambushed they took defensive positions, returned fire, called for assistance when needed, and retreated when necessary. This was both damaging to morale and weakened the reliability of the unit, and was avoided as much as possible, but became necessary during the rush to contain the German counteroffensive in the Ardennes in 1944. We then took all Trucks and equipment to the Port Of Saigon. Holding approximately 36 gallons of water, the bag was suspended about five feet above the ground. We were like sitting Ducks. As I carried a PRC25 radio for over seven-months in the > Nam, I was curious to find out what I did RIGHT to surv >, One MOS I figured was a sure short timer was POL{Fuel} Truck Driver. US Army. While traveling through the boonies the first few men were usually always shot first. I am proud to have fought alongside of them. I always found life expectancy numbers interesting in that I could never find any supporting information that could be validated. by Jeffrey J. Clarke, Center for Military History, February 26, 1992, Citizen Soldiers, by Stephen Ambrose, 1998, Ardennes-Alsace, by Roger Cirillo, Office of the Chief of Military History, Department of the Army, 2003, online, American Battle Casualties and Non-Battle Deaths in World War II, by the Combined Arms Research Library, Department of the Army, June 25, 1953. Ambulances are not supposed to be armed (either) though in training, medics are told they and their vehicles will be a prime target. Where do we find this stuff? For his actions, he was awarded the Congressional Medal if Honor. So was the need to stay nourished, and despite the idea of eating unappetizing rations cold, due to the necessity of avoiding using cooking fires, it was better than nothing. Toothbrushes and tooth powder were included in ration packs, and the teeth could be brushed using water in canteens, except for during the colder periods of the winter of 1944-45 when the canteens froze solid. Your email address will not be published. With these loads, they trudged through mud or snow during the winter of 1944-45, the coldest and snowiest in Europe in over fifty years. 1st Cav, 101st, etc. Nor was treating wounded their only duty, they were responsible for the overall health of the men in their company, treating them for dysentery, routine illnesses such as colds and flu, blisters, sprains and broken bones, and other miseries encountered by the men. As of July 2019, the Army had 19,820 11B Infantryman on active duty. The cars were antiquated, dating back to before World War I, and were unheated. The combat infantrymen were unaware of their mission, tired and hungry having had little food other than frozen k-rations for four days, and about to enter combat with a German division which had been diverted from the Eastern Front in order to support the offensive which had stalled in the Ardennes at Bastogne. We ambushed and got ambushed, firebase got attacked who carried what or did what had no bearing. * Basic training and advanced job training are combined into a single course. For the infantryman, the war was limited to how it affected his squad, and the need to protect and defend it. aND, mAY GOD BLESS AMERICA!!! For an infantryman, the Expert Infantry Badge is the gold-medal standard. Two of my classmates were killed within 2 weeks incountry and three wounded I know of. Every infantryman must be fluent in any weapon and equipment that is involved in the operation. Learn more about 11B MOS, including what the requirements are, the training, day to day life, and more. The Browning Automatic Rifle, of which each infantry rifle squad had one (and which was incidentally a favored weapon of Clyde Barrow of Bonnie and Clyde fame) was also a .30 caliber weapon. I was a point man, M60 Gunner and squad leader. I was in the AF a Reo in a F4-C. Who had time to worry about the life One result of combat is dealing with prisoners of war, with Army Infantrymen being the first means to process POWs. In addition to handling and processing POWs, an Army Infantryman might also need to evaluate terrain and select weapon emplacement. 30 Apr 2023 00:05:29 A Co, 1/5 Cav, 1 Cav Division. The needs of the Army will dictate which MOS youre assigned. Foxholes were dug by individuals, with each man responsible for his own hole, or in the case of weapons teams, dug together for joint occupancy. May they rest in peace. Additionally, you will learn to handle a large volume of weapons, military vehicles, as well as Prisoners of War (POWs). Even during the period of rest, the possibility of a sudden attack was always present. Infantry OSUT is 22 weeks. It doesnt make any sense statistically/mathematically it is impossible. Seven out of ten suffered some form of injury or death. Most of us have memories of these kind of experiences. Were talking averages, obviously so, an RTO, with an expectancy of 5 seconds (!) Yet the famed French commander could not have achieved success without the hard efforts of . Additionally, soldiers might record operational information on maps. As an Army Infantryman, you will likely see time in combat. Thank You General Vessey for the almost 53 years I have lived since that day. It is Honor in the Valley of Tears. I always felt that Infantry units were in more danger because of ambush issues and no permanent defensive structures. Since the shower and clothing issue often took place in the dead of winter and outdoors, it was an invigorating experience, but a not very frequent one. Their war was what they encountered. Even when out of combat their comforts were few. Like all military branches, the Army pays soldiers according to rank and time in service.

Kaiser Permanente Medical Records Southern California Phone Number, Bone Family Memphis, Told Truth Failed Polygraph, Why Did Johnson Smith Company Close, Went To The Fish Market British Slang, Articles L