josey wales kill count

And I'm saying that men can live together without butchering one another. He shot them all while they were eating breakfast. Wales becomes an outlaw and is pursued by bounty hunters and Union soldiers as he tries to make a new life for himself. I might have killed her. From the creators of SparkNotes, something better. Yeah, well, I always heard there were three kinds of suns in Kansas: sunshine, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches. There is no way of knowing for sure, but it would have been very profound irony. I could always look at a man and read him. The original printing of the book was . Lone Watie: The Outlaw Josey Wales production team descended upon Lake Powell in October 1975 to commence filming. Josey, a farmer, joins then a bunch of guerilla soldiers fighting the North, hoping to find those who have destroyed his life. Rambo: First Blood Part II (1985): 514. Its quite a profound moment in the story, it was downplayed brilliantly by Clint. You did! Discernment. He bears a scar across his right cheek, caused by a saber slash. "Jack Caine: "And you go in pieces, asshole. Ten Spot: Wales achieves notoriety after the American Civil War ends, due to his refusal to surrender to the victorious Northern army and his deadly reputation as a gunman. The site's critical consensus reads, "Recreating the essence of his iconic Man With No Name in a post-Civil War Western, director Clint Eastwood delivered the first of his great revisionist works of the genre. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up, then you neither live nor win. I notice when you get to DISlikin' someone they ain't around for long neither. is how people from very different - even conflicting - backgrounds can band together in harmony. White men have been sneaking up on us for years. Tango & Cash (1989): 11, Watch his most iconic kill (from Rambo: First Blood Part II), 5 most bloodthirsty films1. Josey Wales (Clint Eastwood) is a Southerner whose entire family were killed by a sadistic Union officer. It was also one of the few Western films to receive critical and commercial success in the 1970s at a time when the Western was thought to be dying as a major genre in Hollywood. The Outlaw Josey Wales: 553. Marauders, in league with the Union Army, called "Red Legs" attack his farm house and murder his family in the process. [12] Principal photography began on October 6 in Lake Powell and nearby Paria, Utah. [Lone Watie hears a gun cock behind him; turns and sees Moonlight]. Kelly: Ten Bears: Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. He carries a Colt 1851 Navy and uses it to help slaughter the unarmed Confederate soldiers. Poster and mural and painting of Papa-Lo and Josey all over the community. Look at the amount of weaponry that was made in four short years of World War IIthe amount of ships and guns and tanks and inventions and planes and P-38s and P-51s, and just the urgency and the camaraderie, and the unifying. I let Josey Wales tell me that the Singer is a PNP stooge who bow for the Prime Minister. THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES is a movie directed by Clint Eastwood in 1976. thoughts are scattered and nonsensical; he doesnt want to be dead and wants to kill, Papa-Lo is driving along the coast with Tony Pavarotti. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride. Many would argue that shooting unarmed prisoners is not generally regarded as a just cause. Fletcher, in turn, persuades his fellow lawmen that Wales was killed in a shootout, allowing his friend to finally live in peace. For the remainder of the war, Wales fights with the guerrilla band, alongside his comrade Fletcher and a young recruit named Jamie. And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union. They said a man could get rich on reward money if he could kill you. Doctor Love looks around the prison cell and observes that its falling apart. (including. Then we see a quick shot of Josey with his customary pained expression on his face.Maybe its just me, but I think it is ambiguous whether Josie had anything to do with Tom Turner's death or not, and this was probably intentional. they are going to bury him alive and internally begs Weeper to just shoot him. I guess we all died a little in that damned war", before riding off. I agree with you that one major theme in this movie - and also why it is oddly a feel-good movie in many ways (despite Clint shooting well over 50 people!) This page is not available in other languages. The original text plus a side-by-side modern translation of. I thought you might be someone who would sneak up behind me with a gun. Total Recall (1990): 443. Eventually the boy dies and he picks up two more unlikely partners, a disenfranchised Cherokee Indian and Cheyenne Squaw. The review of this Movie prepared by Brandon Swenson. Sometimes, trouble just follows a man. Grandma Sarah: He's a looter and a pillager! But the movie is excellent, it ranks at least in the top five of Clints Westerns. He joins a group of Confederate guerrillas and becomes a ruthless killer, seeking revenge against the Union soldiers who killed his family. His demeanor is such that he has very little to say, and when he does speak it is short and to the point, with a quiet tone (his catchphrase being "I reckon so"). Or to live with you. Bam-Bam and then, what he did. Josey Wales: [10] The movie was shot in DeLuxe Color and Panavision. The Outlaw Josey Wales Message Board (click here). In him own way, you could call him a classy brother. The two shake hands, their blood mingling in brotherhood, Missouri guerillas come upon Josey sitting by his family's graves, the Comanchero leader has stopped his men from raping Laura Lee, Grandma Sarah notices that Lone Watie has painted his face, Fletcher notices Terrell standing with Lane, Josey has walked into the saloon in Santa Rio, spits tobacco juice on the dog's forehead, Josey and Jamie are waiting for the Redlegs to cross the river, Josey pulls a Sharp's rifle with a early telescopic sight on it from his horse, shoots the rope hauling the ferry across the river, Extending a rifle barrel from a cabin window, telling Capt. Digital Spy participates in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may get paid commissions on editorially chosen products purchased through our links to retailer sites. Only an Indian can do something like this. Watie is proven correct in a few seconds when another Indian, Little Moonlight, gets the drop on him with the same type of .44-caliber revolver. Learn how and when to remove this template message, pretending to surrender with a white flag, "Movie With a Murky Background: The Man Who Wrote the Book", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Josey_Wales_(character)&oldid=1150202632, This page was last edited on 16 April 2023, at 21:21. While its still possible it was Josey that killed him i thought it would of been too soon for her to find out of her sons death and travle to him in that time. Comanchero Leader: Josey Wales: NB: All statistics come from the experts in this field, MovieBodyCounts.com, who spend more time watching stunt men pretend to die than you could possibly imagine. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966): 11, Watch his most iconic kill (from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly), Blondie: "You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. A number thats often talked about in action movies is kill or body count. T-24 El Mariachi (Desperado, 1995) Body Count 53, 24 Agent 47 (Hitman, 2007) = Body Count 53, T-22 Miyamoto (Ritana, 2002) = Body Count 54, 22 Frank Castle (The Punisher, 1989) Body Count 54, 21 Josey Wales (The Outlaw Josey Wales, 1976) Body Count 55, 20 Robert Neville (I am Legend, 2007)- Body Count 56, 19 Inspector Li (The Killer, 1989) Body Count 58, 18 Cor. Unfortunately, the three cartridge conversions shown at various times throughout the movie did not yet exist at the end of the Civil War. After the end of the war, they refuse to surrender, but their leader, Fletcher (John Vernon), negotiates a surrender allowing his men amnesty. And it was all tied together by the weapons and violence that would come to define the post-Civil War West. All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. Those men are common outlaws, nothing more. Legends Of Tomorrow Season 7 Body Count Breakdown, Legends Of Tomorrow Season 6 Body Count Breakdown, Legends Of Tomorrow Season 5 Body Count Breakdown, Legends Of Tomorrow Season 4 Body Count Breakdown, Legends Of Tomorrow Season 3 Body Count Breakdown, Predator Ending Explained: Making Arnie The Underdog | Fishstream TV, Commando Was A Chance For Arnold Schwarzenegger To Out-Stallone Sylvester Stallone | Fishstream TV, Commando (1985) Killcount And Body Count Breakdown. Josey kills Terrill in the end by skewering him with his own Army saber. A wounded Wales, despite being out of ammunition, pursues the fleeing Terrill back to Santa Rio. Find related themes, quotes, symbols, characters, and more. Bounty hunter #1: I let Josey Wales tell me to shoot up three more line and I wont care who. The two shake hands, their blood mingling in brotherhood]. Toni McBride, What is an AR-10 battle rifle? Wales and his companions find the abandoned ranch once owned by Tom and settle in. [Grandma Sarah notices that Lone Watie has painted his face]. The first commercially successful reloadable centerfire cartridge, the .44-40 emerged at precisely the right moment in history to blaze its way through clouds of blackpowder smoke and tame America's rugged and often lawless frontier. Josey Wales: He grew into a very tall, dark and handsome man6'2", with jet black curly hair . [21], As for Josey Wales, I saw the parallels to the modern day at that time. You dig. Josey's decision to kill the Singer is based in his belief that peace is not a viable goal and his opposition to the growing power and influence of the Rastafarian movement. The following morning, the Redlegs launch a surprise attack on the ranch. | There's another old saying, Senator: Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining. [citation needed], In 2011, Eastwood called The Outlaw Josey Wales an anti-war film. I let Josey Wales tell me that the Singer is a hypocrite, and he playing both sides taking everybody for idiot. Our, "Sooo much more helpful thanSparkNotes. And then, for no apparent reason (other than they can), a band of pro-Union Jayhawkers (or red legs) burn his home, murder his son, and rape and murder his wife. It was based on the second Wales book, The Vengeance Trail of Josey Wales, which Eastwood had planned to adapt, but wasn't able to. shooting. They arrive at the Singers house and Echo Squad are not standing guard outside. That's true. More like old habits than old age. He'd charge Hell with a bucket of water.". They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas, I bet. When the surrendering Confederates are mowed down by Union troops using two Colt Gatling Guns,Josey Wales springs into action. Josie Wales: [6] The film was a commercial success, earning $31.8 million against a $3.7 million budget. Lone Watie: The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. You know she thinks I'm some kind of a Cherokee chief. Jamie, having been wounded during the ambush, dies shortly thereafter. I have heard. You can pay me when you see me again, Josey Wales. Firing from the bank to the middle of the river and hitting a small diameter rope on the first shot would be a supreme act of marksmanship in the real world. Heat is one of those popular movies with something to, Born James Butler Hickok, everyone remembers him as Wild Bill., His wife and son have been murdered, and his house burned to the ground by Union Red Legs, setting the stage for the perfect Clint Eastwood revenge movie. Dangerous thing, peace. Kaufman insisted on filming with a meticulous attention to detail, which caused disagreements with Eastwood, not to mention the attraction the two shared towards Locke and apparent jealousy on Kaufman's part in regard to their emerging relationship. Never paid him no mind; you were there. It doesnt take long for the disliking to begin. Papa-Lo is trying to do penance for the shooting at the Singers house. [referring to Lone's dog] Been a long time since we had anythin' to drink. adds that she is stupid for trying to kill him, considering what will happen when, chapters, the narrator is not identified in the chapter title. Bam-Bam tries to sneak out of the crowd. He refuses . to kill all the bushwhackers that had just surrendered to them and turned their own guns in. True Lies (1994): 514. It's not right, this damn woman doing something like this to me. Lone Watie: The Outlaw Josey Wales rights held by Warner Bros. DOA: DAMES OR manASS. I ain't promising you nothing extra. Clint Eastwood with a pistol in each hand, in a promotional still for the 1976 western, 'The Outlaw Josey Wales'. 46 of 46 found this interesting | Share this Jamie: Together they fight off Commancheros, the Red Legs, and the Commanche with the help of some Greenhorns recently out from the settlements. organize a truce and organized peace marches through the church. "[20] The film received a Metacritic rating of 69 based on 9 reviews. I'm just giving you life and you're giving me life. Everyone in Fletcher's band (Anderson having been killed during the war) agrees to surrender, with the exception of Wales. Because I ain't got nothin' better to do. The production was marred by several challenges, starting with the initial director . They stood us in a line: John Jumper, Chili McIntosh, Buffalo Hump, Jim Buckmark, and me - I am Lone Watie. a Western starring and directed by Clint Eastwood. [9] The characters of Wales, the Cherokee chief, Navajo woman, and the old settler woman and her daughter all appeared in the novel. Nah, I guess not. Dying ain't so hard for men like you and me. You said regular Federal authorities would be handling this! Fletcher: | Do you really think you can shoot all those men down before they shoot you? Ferris Webster was hired as the film's editor and Jerry Fielding as composer. Braddock (Missing in Action, 1984) Body Count 59, 17 Luke (Bullet in the Head, 1990) Body Count 60, 16 Blade (Blade I, 1998) Body Count 65, 15 Riddick (Chronicles of Riddick, 2004) Body Count 67, 14 Ah Jong (The Killer, 1989) Body Count 69, 13 Rambo (Rambo III, 1988) Body Count 72, 12 Leftenant Schaffer (Where Eagles Dare, 1968) Body Count 73, 11 The Bride (Kill Bill: Vol.1, 2003) Body Count 76, T-9 Tequila (Hard Boiled, 1992) Body Count 77, 9 Blade (Blade II, 2002) Body Count 77, 8 Ken (A Better Tomorrow II, 1987) Body Count 78, 7 John Matrix (Commando, 1985) Body Count 87, 6 Rambo (Rambo, 2008) Body Count 87, 5 Tetsuo (Akira, 1988) Body Count 96, 4 Topper Harley (Hot Shots! Josey's wife: This content is imported from YouTube. | [realizes Josey has snuck up behind and pulled a gun on him] Whenever I get to likin' someone, they ain't around long. No future for no dark girl in Jamaica, despite black power bullshit. This marked the beginning of a professional and domestic relationship between Eastwood and Locke that would span six films and last into the late 1980s. Now, you and me didn't ride all that way for that. Anything Goes with Emma Chamberlain. Struggling with distance learning? The JLP will do anything to win, and suddenly, Papa-Lo realizes what. Josey Wales: Here, with the moody, gloomily beautiful, photography of Bruce Surtees, he creates a magnificent Western feeling.". Lone Watie: Rose: Wales says, "I reckon so. I came here like this so you'll know my word of death is true, and my word of life is then true. Besides it ain't supposed to be easy to sneak up behind an Indian. [16] From then on, the film was directed by Eastwood himself with Daley as the second-in-command. Rounding out the cast of Josey Wales guns are a few who make brief screen appearances: A strange and daring Western! Roger Ebert, Thats how Roger Ebert, the late film critic, described The Outlaw Josey Wales when it first came out. Woman naming them pickney Josey One and Josey Two, even though he not fucking nobody but him wife, no, they not married for real. And by "hilarity," we mean "murder." This is a Clint Eastwood movie, after all. That's just the way it is. "Matrix: (Dropping Sully off a cliff): "I lied. I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. A Fistful of Dollars (1964): 184. Bounty hunters. At that moment he also realized all the other dramatic things that you mention. Once, the Singer saw, who insisted he had no knowledge of this, and warned him: Pull your leash on, penetrated. I've got to tell you something. The Outlaw Josey Wales: 55 3. Teachers and parents! An intriguing possibility for sure. We've got to take to the brush! Like Weeper. We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." Another firearm that was misplaced in time was theTrapdoor Springfield 1873 .45-70rifle. Biography Jamie: Simply because Josey had no way of knowing the names of the Union soldiers he shot. Granny Hawkins: Josey Wales: The way the content is organized. The villain is a Union commander and the northern army is depicted as corrupt and murderous. A 1976 Western film directed by (and starring) Clint Eastwood. He also has a habit of chewing and spitting tobacco with accuracy, sometimes on the faces of people he despises. Then Josey, who has arrived late to the party, gets his hands on it. Along the way, while racking up a prodigious body count, Wales meets a group of people whom he reluctantly allows to join him. Fletcher: What the hell is this Redleg doin' here? Terrell why they need to go in a different direction than Wales' true course. It shall be life. Principal Chief John Ross (who had always been opposed to removal, and led the "National" faction that opposed the New Echota faction and murdered some of its leaders) paid lip service to the Confederates at first, then emphatically threw his weight behind the Union as soon as he could without fear of reprisal. Carpetbagger: When the surrendering Confederates are mowed down by Union troops using two Colt Gatling Guns, Josey Wales springs into action. Nobody who kill a police going to hell but is something else to kill the singer. The leader of the redlegs, and the man that killed the outlaw's family, turns tail and runs. How is it with stains? If it's anything Shawshank Redemption, Seinfeld, or Kevin Bacon game related he's way more interested. Leggo Beast claims that he was brainwashed by, As Alex was leaving Papa-Lo, he walked into two men, who took him to, After the attack on the Singers house, Peter Nasser called, Johnson left for Argentina, a new American called Mr. Clark replaced him. We dressed ourselves up like Abraham Lincoln. Josey Wales: Been a long time since somebody ordered a drink in San Rio. Granny Hawkins: Aiden's been an entertainment freelancer for over 10 years covering movies, television and the occasional comic or video game beat. He tells himself that when, it; its Eubie. Fletcher: Jerry Fielding was nominated for an Academy Award in the Best Music, Original score category. I don't know much 'bout them things and I don't read Bible. Josey Wales: He might have already been dead before that incident at the beginning of the movie and was killed in another war run in with Missouri Confederate brigades.But ultimately the theme of Outlaw Josey Wales I believe is people overcoming the stereotypes to band together against real enemies of peace. There are guns aplenty, and the fierce gun battles leave a trail of bodies. Ten Bears : It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. The Rangers accept the story, along with a signed affidavit, and move on, while Fletcher says nothing about Wales and pretends not to recognize him. charge of collecting the winnings disappeared, and Demus was left with nothing. Refine any search. Fletcher was in with them. Cinematographer Bruce Surtees, James Fargo, and Fritz Manes scouted for locations and eventually found sites in Utah, Arizona, Wyoming, and Oroville, California even before they saw the final script. It works wonders on wounds. Wales asks the officer to kill him, and the officer obliges. Lone Watie: But still, you want to get Josey you have to mow down the entire Copenhagen City first, and even then. But that's kind of a sad statement on mankind, if that's what it takes. The blue bellies will give ya a better burial than I can, boy. Only an Indian could do something like that. [7] His wife Laura Lee was played by Mary Ann Averett in the sequel. Captain Terrill: After Lees surrender, they are offered amnesty with all but one accepting the Unions offerJosey Wales. Instant downloads of all 1725 LitChart PDFs The Outlaw Josey Wales is a 1976 American Revisionist Western film set during and after the American Civil War. Wales had been watching from a distance, and upon realizing that the ceremony was a trap, he rides into the Union camp killing as many soldiers as possible. Back then the biz did even have a sort of class. Predator (1987): 255. The phone rings, and once again Weeper ignores it. Its a good thing that you are wondering that because weve got all the numbers. [putting his dead friend on a horse and sending him into the enemy camp]. Teacher Editions with classroom activities for all 1725 titles we cover. You can't do no fucking business. I'm just giving you life and you're giving me life. fuck, and no matter what he say, he still sorry to leave prison. In 1996, it was deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" by the United States Library of Congress and selected for preservation in the National Film Registry. [13][11] A rift between Eastwood and Kaufman developed during the filming. And Fletcher, there's an old saying: To the victors belong the spoils. But crack is different business. You boys sure look civilized.!" A man's got to do something for a living these days. Anyone gets hit, sing out. You know what I say? Yep, first the silver run out, then the people run out, then the whiskey run out, then the beer run out. Josey Wales: [4][5] The film tells the story of Josey Wales, a Missouri farmer whose family is murdered by Union militants during the Civil War. And by "hilarity," we mean "murder." Kelly's Heroes (1970): 16 5. To hell with them fellas. But peace eludes them again when Commanches attack and Red Legs too. [Fletcher knows he's talking to Josey Wales]. Current .44-40 factory loadings feature a 200-grain bullet running about 800 to 1,100 fps. That's right, it's been three decades since we met "Chenny!" Crazy Credits 25 Movie Characters With the Highest Kill Counts in History, The 10 MCU Villains with the Highest Kill Counts, The Five Best Albino Characters in Movie History, Five Innocent Movies That Had Bad Unintended Consequences, Of Course Dafne Keen And James Mangold are Up for X-23 Sequel, Wonder Woman Finally Has a New Trailer: Its About Time, Why The New Mutants Movie Can Actually be Good, Why Suicide Squads Amanda Waller Deserves A Spin-Off, Daniel Craig Is Definitely Leaving After Next Bond Movie (And Thats Okay), Why Film Noir Movies Barely Exist Anymore, Queens Season 1, Episode 6: Behind The Throne Recap, Five Movies Wed Like to See Told from a Different Character Point of View, Maybe Its Time for a Spinoff of The Shining, Five Time Periods The Live-Action Assassins Creed Series Should Visit, 10 Things You Didnt Know About Carmen Carter. Fletcher: In reality, the Old West had a significantly larger black population than the movie implies. :), On a good day, Earths mightiest heroes have a wacky lousy guy who turns out, A lot of people have taken the time and effort to wonder just how many, The idea of an albino individual in society is that they are kind of an. a gunman before, and explaining that she grew up in Havendale. Only Josey Wales May Know for Sure", "Clint Eastwood gets top role in outlaw film", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=The_Outlaw_Josey_Wales&oldid=1145611986, This page was last edited on 20 March 2023, at 01:49. Lone Watie: Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy. In the 1976 film The Outlaw Josey Wales, the title character's wife and child are killed by Unionist raiders. Reckon I'm right popular. This Mr. Wales is a cold-blooded killer. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.. Sound like hard men to do business with. What about Sam Bottoms (Jamie)? The Comancheros are first seen in the immediate aftermath of attacking the Kansas settlers, killing the men and attempting to rape the girl. PDFs of modern translations of every Shakespeare play and poem. Ten Bears: Josey Wales: She might be worth one donkey. Is years now I supposed to kill him for that, but why? He's mean as a rattler, and twice as fast with them pistols.

Soho House Boston, Bluegrass Bands 2000s, Parker County Voting Precinct Map, Samsung Odyssey G5 Best Settings, Wake And Bake Cabin Michigan, Articles J