gerber mk ii vietnam

Its unique appearance makes it a fearsome option for the screen. and No, its NOT for sale. These knives were produced commercially by Gerber and favored by troops in Vietnam. The Mark II design was based on a sketch sent in by Army Captain C. A. My goal is to provide helpful information about old pocket knives relating to their identification and history. http://knifecollector.net/Gerber-MkII-Production-Chart.html. Frost Matrix - "Gerber Mark II Production History Matrix" by Robert Frost originally found at, 200? (tt) Blades etched in 3 lines on the Gerber logo side: GERBER / 70th. It has black diecast aluminum handles and it includes a black nylon sheath with a belt loop. I really enjoy knives that are engraved like this one. Vietnam era vintage Jacques Garcia survival combat knife . It has a 6.5" double serrated spear point blade that is .18" thick. Bud Holzman, who served with the 101st Airborne Division (Screaming Eagles) in the European theatre during WWII. Jesse, oldpocketknives.com, Oldpocketknives.com Great knife and I believe this model was only produced a few years. Recommended Posts. For your consideration is this vintage Gerber MK II fighting combat knife in original leather sheath and Gerber steel in original leather sheath. Al Mar, who was working for Gerber at the time, added two inches of scalloped saw-tooth double serrations toward the hilt. The handle on the 2008 version is a one-piece solid A380 aluminum alloy casting that includes the guard, grip and pommel in a single piece. The Gerber Mark II was the iconic combat knife of the Vietnam War, much as the Fairbairn-Sykes (F-S) Fighting Knife (British Commando Knife), was the iconic combat knife of World War II. Gerber has remade the knife and releases batches at a time. A surprising variety of sheaths have been associated with the Mark II. A Vietnam era knife. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. The engraving seems legit. This includes thick ropes, roots, and heavy canvas materials. In the 1940s, Gerber began making steak knives and eventually prized hunting knives in Portland, Oregon. The all-metal grip is made of aluminum. Other handle features are an angled-forward double guard and a tapered pommel with lanyard hole. Check out Bob Loveless and A.G. Russell knives. When one looks at the blade and the design, its evident that its a bit thin and not suited for batoning wood, skinning game, or general survival tasks. Item #BHQ-4289 MSRP: $132.95 Our Price: $89.95 (3) There have been many variations in the Mark II throughout the years of its production. Still have it. The handle was famously made from aluminum and designed for a fencing-style grip. The use of stainless steel does prevent corrosion and is often a great choice for survival tools. The Mark II was commonly carried by U.S. troops in the Vietnam War, . by Wayne Goddard Its one of the best selling knives of all time and continues to see action around the globe. If you . So, sometime after that date, Charlie's Mark II was purchased by a U.S. soldier and taken to Nam. 420HC is a martensitic 420 series stainless steel. 4d 2h left (Sun, 05:10 PM) or Best Offer +$8.00 shipping Sponsored Gerber Mk2 Mark 2 MkII Mark II Stiletto Neck Knife RETENTION Sheath Only Brand New $40.00 lloy_howa (1,088) 98.5% Buy It Now +$5.55 shipping Sponsored Others have called the MK-II an improved version of the WW-II Fairbairn-Sykes commando knife. Somewhere there is a Gerber site that lists serial numbers and dates of production. A major disadvantage of most serrated blades is that they are more difficult to sharpen, requiring a special sharpening tool. In Vietnam and Cambodia it never left my side and I loved that knife. A former Army Captain designed the Gerber Mark II. Gerber is, of course, still in business and thriving, but go to its website and you wont find a Mark II for sale. The new Mark II uses the same classic dagger-like design and metal grip and handguard. Hi! The 2008 version has a die-cast aluminum handle with a textured black powder-coat finish and a 420HC stainless steel double-edge, straight-waist blade with a black oxide coating. The Gerber Mark II Is One Of The Most Famous Combat Knives Ever Issued To The American Military. It comes with a limited lifetime warranty in North America and a 25- year limited warranty outside of North America. Using the 1988 year as an example: F3523S - H4854S indicates that the serial numbers for 1988 start at F3523S and go up to F9999S then switch to H0000 and end at H4854S. THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING VETERAN JOURNALISM - JOIN SOFREP+ Gerber should release a premium model in 154 CM or S30V, and Id gladly pick one up, even for the increased cost. While this carry position afforded quick access to the knife, part of the Mark IIs ricasso can be seen indicating the knife was barely being held in place by the sheaths retaining strap. Free shipping for many products! Its old school cool. It even comes with a thigh strap to secure and keep it from jumping around. Gerber C.A. Also if this knife is real, an approximate value would be greatly appreciated. After a lot of use, the straps stretched increasing the chance of losing the knife. In either case, the knife was obviously created to be a deadly weapon first and a tool second. After my enlistment, I worked as a test engineer and software developer for the Aerospace Industry for 34 years. Specifications I received my first Gerber Mk II, sn# 13000 in the fall of 1969 during my last full tour in Vietnam. I hope your weekend went well. I am now retired. It was called the Mark II combat knife and was fist produced in 1966. Made in 1972. Fortunately for collectors, all Mark II knives, except the yellow-handled dive knives, are individually serial numbered, which makes dating easy. All Rights Reserved. [4] Al Mar, then working for Gerber as a knife designer, added the sawtooth serrations toward the hilt, marketing the knife as a "survival aid", making it more appealing to the PX System, which resumed selling the Mark II as a survival knife, rather than a fighting knife. The Mark II went into commercial production in late 1966. Required fields are marked *. The MK II was the suggested blade in Paladin Press's controversial how-to book [1][2] This design feature led to a significant number of knives being returned by users for having a "bent blade", so Gerber discontinued that element on subsequent production runs. They specialized in deception and psychological warfare (psyops). Gerberguy Table - "GERBERGuy's GERBER LEGENDARY BLADES Collector's Website" originally found at, 199? . The HC stands for high carbon, which means it can be brought to a higher hardness than 420. Production Number Explanation Mark II serial numbers were all numeric from 1966 through 1981 and a simple subtraction plus 1 gives the total knives made in a year. Israels Cutting-Edge Missile Warning System to Be Deployed in Ukraine This May, US Special Forces Evacuate Embassy Staff in Sudan: Other Americans Left Behind, Again, Navy SEALs David Goggins versus Dan Crenshaw in SEAL on SEAL Internet Death Match, Germany Seeks to Modernize Military with American Rocket Artillery System, War Games: 2027 Reveals Need for US to Arm Taiwan to the Teeth Amid Rising Tensions with China, Russia Threatens to Terminate Ukraine Grain Deal over G7 Export Ban, Taliban Kills Kabul Airport Suicide Bombing Mastermind, SOFREP Stands With Our Brothers Who Demand Responsibility for Disastrous Afghan Departure, Adam Brown: A SEALs Life of Courage and Redemption, Complete List: Ticonderoga-class Missile Cruisers To Retire By 2027, Nuclear Close Calls That Nearly Caused World War III, Russian Sausage Millionaire and Putin Critic Falls to His Death in India, Your Subscription Supports our Veteran Staff. Also have the MK I as an excellent boot knife. The sheath has been modified by cutting off the sheath back above the throat and adding webbing to the sheath back forming a belt loop. Canted blade Mark II - Serial Number 003934 - This knife was taken from a dead NVA soldier by SGT Charlie Sharps, an infantry platoon sergeant with the 173rd Airborne. Anniversary knives are not blade marked. Also see http://taskforceomegainc.org/s139.html for more information and details about his last mission. This makes it much more efficient when cutting through fibrous or flexible material. A serrated edge can clear a cut and can start cuts in materials where it would be difficult to do so with a straight edge. When you work in conditions with strict logistics, youll take the weight of an aluminum handle over something fragile. "Bud" Holzman. Some can still be found with their original leather sheath. As is the case with the F-S, the Mark II is a purpose-built combat dagger with excellent penetration and reach. The knife also incorporates an aggressive handguard to keep your hand positioned on the handle in a fight. A page out of the Vietnam SAIGON POST Newspaper in the early years of the war. Below are some pictures of my Gerber Mk-II combat knife. Ep 25 | GWWM John Valentine Combatives, and Deeds of Arms, Where is combatives today. It allows for an ice pick style grip, a fencing grip, or a standard hammer grip. A serrated edge is also functionally longer cutting surface, so it will hold up longer without needing to be resharpened. So (F9999S - F3523S + 1) = 6477 and (H4854S - H0000S + 1 ) = 4855. As far as legendary fighting knives go, there are a few that stand the test of time. When I was in Vietnam, my Dad saw an advertisement in the magazine for the "new" Gerber fighting knife. During the school's illustrious history, a large number of 101 st Airborne Division Lurp/Rangers won that coveted award, a testament to the quality of men who served in the division's Long Range Patrol units". In the 1970s, the military's base/post exchanges discontinued selling these knives, reasoning that they were "not in good taste" or "too brutal". Therefore 6477 "F" knives + 4855 "H" knives gives the total knives made that year as 11,332. Your hand wont slip or slide into the blade as you stick and stab to kill a Commie for mommy. I don't believe it is a Vietnam era knife, the serial number doesn't look right. Its made in the USA at Gerbers Portland, Oregon factory. The MK-II was designed by retired Army Captain Bud Holzman, not Al Mar. Production continued until 2000, with an additional limited production run of 1,500 knives in 2002. It also cuts better than a plain edge when dull. The Mark II was designed in 1966 and quickly became a popular choice with soldiers and Marines headed overseas. It also comes with a ballistic nylon sheath. Pre owned but in nice condition Gray Armorhide (cat's tongue) handle. Support Veteran Journalism . The choice was a dagger designed for sticking, but equally capable of cutting and slashing. List - Info sheet by Donda Burnett, Gerber Consumer Affairs, 2008 Sarasota Info - http://simplysarasota.com/knifecollector/GerberKnifeDates.html, 2/10/09 Sarasota Table - http://simplysarasota.com/knifecollector/Gerber-MkII-Production-Chart.html. First Sold in 1966, the Gerber Mk2 Fighting Knife quickly became a very popular private purchase weapon for soldiers stationed in Vietnam. This isnt the best steel, and I wouldnt take it to war. Asymmetry in blade design is a show-stopper - this actually being a Command II. The first production run of the Mark II was wasp-waisted and had a five-degree offset between the blade and the grip. As is the case with the F-S, the Mark II is a purpose-built combat dagger with excellent penetration and reach. A serrated edge essentially cuts by tearing rather than slicing. I have been told he based the "wasp waist" pattern of the double-edge 7-inch blade on . If the leading alpha character doesn't change for the year, again simple subtraction plus 1 gives the total. The handle was designed to be an effective yawara. The handle on the 2008 version is a one-piece solid A380 aluminum alloy casting that includes the guard, grip and pommel in a single piece. The general rule of thumb was that a six- to seven-inch blade was. Loved your article on the Mark IIyou didnt repeat the same things that everyone else reprints. Nice to know. Your email address will not be published. *Lighting a path to truth* Former Navy JAG Worldwide U.S. Military Defense. It utilizes an active retention strap but is quick and easy to draw. March 28, 2021 in EDGED WEAPONS. Mr. Scratch Posted April 5, 2012. The knife, serial number 9537, is missing the two leading zeros. The general rule of thumb was that a six- to seven-inch blade was optimum. I believe this to be a picture Larry Flannagan from the 1st Brigade 4th Division LRRP (Long Range Recon Patrol) taken in 1967 or 1968. The Gerber MK II is a product of its time, but it remains an excellent knife option to this day. Hello, On display is my 1968 model CT2 Gerber MKII combat dagger. Shooting the BulletSafe VP3 Soft Body Armor, Uberti Remembers John Wesley Hardin with this Top Break .45 Colt. My experience has taught me that there's nothing like digging in and getting started. The NVA soldier was killed in an ambush in Vietnam's Central Highlands, somewhere west of Buon Ma Thout, in October of 1968 . The long serrated edge makes it super easy to cut through thicker and denser materials. It popped up in the hands of everyones favorite fraud raven Seagal in the film Under Siege, as well as in the Road Warrior, in which Mad Max tucks one into his boot. The Gerber Mark II Vietnam Tribute Navy features a 420 HC steel black oxide coated partially serrated spear point blade with a diecast aluminum handle and a ballistic nylon sheath. Designed for maximum versatility, the sheath features a multi-mount system with belt loops, nylon webbing leg strap with side-release buckle and is MOLLE/PALS compatible. A lot happened in that time, and along the way, the MK II became a well reputed Cold Warrior. Holzman in 1966. Also found at, 199? Prototypes were field tested and evaluated at Fort Lewis, Washington by members of the Armys Fourth Infantry Division. Note the harsh wording in the advertisement with emphasis on the knife's "deadly" aspects. It was advertised as a boot knife rather than a fighting knife. Not all brown ones are Vietnam, but all Vietnam ones are brown, if that makes sense. Picture is not detailed enough to determine if possibly the wrist tie was used to insure the knife would not be lost. THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING VETERAN JOURNALISM - JOIN SOFREP+ , Pikes Manly Gift Picks: Knife Edition 2020, PO Box 1077 MURFREESBORO, Tennessee 37133 United States, P.O. Terry was originally a Marine who became a SEAL team member and was a medic, HM1. Praesidus brings homage to the military watch tradition. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Its made in the USA at Gerbers Portland, Oregon factory. The Gerber Mark II slid in and out of production over the years, but Gerber has recently re-released the knife in a very affordable package. Oldpocketknives.com is an online resource for collectors of vintage pocket knives. The Mark II is a true classic that belongs in every knife collection. As Bearmon points out, this isnt even a MKII. A380 is one of the most commonly specified alloys for die casting, as it offers, the best combination of casting, mechanical, and thermal properties. Tactical Life Gun Magazine: Gun news, gun reviews and gun magazines for gun enthusiasts, military and law enforcement, You use of this website constitutes and manifests your acceptance of our, WATCH NOW: TACTICAL-LIFEs RELOADING ZONE, ENTER TO WIN: Free Gun Friday > Springfield Armory Hellion 5.56 Rifle * Trijicon RMR Red Dot * Black Hills Ammo *, Going Deep Inside the Brutal Colossal Colosseum of Rome, TriStar LR94: Lever-Action Shotguns in .410 for Field, Home Defense, Girsan Witness2311: $1K 2011-Style Competition & Defender Pistol, Vortex Adds GeoBallistics Solver to Razor HD 4000 Rangefinder, SIG Cross STX: New Model Brings Serious Precision Swag, Vudoo Priest: Double-Stack 1911 Built to Run Hard & Fast, Police Sidearms: The Handguns of Americas 10 Largest Departments, History of the American Classic Winchester Model 1866 Carbine, Best Coach Guns: the Stow-N-Go Defenders You Want Riding Shotgun [2023], Paint Perfect: Force-On-Force Training with Umarex Glock 17, Top Dog 9s: We Tested 8 of the Best 9mm Self-Defense Rounds, VIDEO: Shooting SilencerCo Switchback 22 Suppressors, Maxxed Six ARC: Shooting the 6mm ATI Omni Hybrid Maxx, Burris Signature LRF 2000 Rangefinder is Small But Mighty, Budget Plinking: The Colt Frontier Scout Single Action Revolver, Fed Up With Fakes: Feds Take on Chinese-Made Silencer Knockoffs, Bulletproof? As Bearmon points out, this isn't even a MKII. The modern Mark II is a bit dated in design, but the Mark II is also a historic knife worth preserving. Yep .. you beat me to it re: not a MK-II. The Gerber Mark II has a suggested retail price of $115,00. The handle ergonomics of the Mark II are generally considered superior to those of the F-S Fighting Knife. View on eBay. Its a great and affordable item for any knife collection. Vietnam? [1] [2] Like the F-S, the Mark II has a slender, double-edge spear-point / dagger blade for maximum piecing capability and a distinctive foil-like handle to enable many handling / gripping options. / 226.796 g Blade Steel: 420HC Stainless Steel Blade Length: 6.5 in. The Gerber Mark II is a fighting knife manufactured by Gerber Legendary Blades from 1966 to 2000, with an additional limited run of 1500 in 2002,[1] and full production resuming as of July 2008. [4], Gerber manufactured a scaled down version of the Mark II known as the Mark I. In 2019 Vortex Optics released the Razor HD 4000 rangefinder with 4,000-yard reach (below). Description Vietnam War era GERBER 1969 MARK II Fighting Knife-rare one of a kind field-modified slim profile dagger in original custom-made scabbard Rare circa 1969 fighting dagger by GERBER, USA that has been field-modified to be a slim, practical, and very effective killing tool. The Mark II was designed by retired US Army Captain Clarence A. [2] It was designed by retired United States Army Captain, Clarence A. The Gerber Mark II: A Historic Fighting Knife, Best Ka-Bar: Modern Options Of The Historic Knife, Knifemaking 101 Read This Before You Make a Knife, 8 Things You May Not Know About Forged in Fire. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Vietnam Era Gerber Mk2 MKII survival knife 1967 004741 First Year No Sheath at the best online prices at eBay! Barrett is the world leader in long-range, large-caliber, precision rifle design and manufacturing. Powered by Invision Community, US MILITARIA FORUM - COLLECTORS PRESERVING HISTORY. Other handle features are an angled-forward double guard and a tapered pommel with lanyard hole. This knife is good for one thing, and thats killing the enemies of democracy. Note the Gerber Mark II worn in an inverted carry, fastened to web gear on his left side. Pictures of the actual knife that Terry carried are shown below. With robust designs and vintage classic style, discover the heritage of military timepieces today! In addition, the original retaining strap has been replaced with a nylon strap with velcro closure. SpecialForcesHistory has an entire page dedicated to the commandos who carried the MK II with pictures of surviving examples. By Mr. Scratch, April 5, 2012 in EDGED WEAPONS. You must become a subscriber or login to view or post comments on this article. Like the Desert Eagle, the appearance of the knife makes it a natural star. The Mark II was designed by retired US Army Captain Clarence A. The Mainz Gladius was a short dagger that was given to senior officers in the Roman Army and was considered a prestigious status symbol. THANK YOU!!! They trusted the knife, and thats critical when its the last line of defense one might have. 1970-1974 yellow-handled dive knives have no serial numbers. 5.11 Molle Packable Slingpack and Backpack, Rites of Passage: Coming of Age in Cinema, Role Models and the need for boys to partake of them, Andy Curtis former Green Beret- Faith Love and Violence. One year in one direction or another makes a BIG difference in price. Also another retention strap snap has been added to the strap. 43311 Joy Road Note the Gerber Mark II hanging on his belt. The inspiration from the blade comes from the Roman Mainz Gladius. If you are looking for an all original Vietnam one, you don't have to look at any in a black sheath. THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING VETERAN JOURNALISM - JOIN SOFREP+ , The all-metal grip is made of aluminum. It comes with a more modern nylon sheath that will fit on a belt or a MOLLE platform. After the war, wondering about the history of the knife, Charlie wrote to Gerber (this was years before the internet) and sent a picture of the knife and its serial number hoping Gerber could tell him who had originally purchased it and when. Gerber stated that their records were scarce, but they did know the knife had been included with four others sold to the Post Exchange (PX) at Ft. Benning, Georgia in October of 1967. In America, the design of fixed-blade fighting knives has changed over time based on contemporary tactics and trends, and the wars being fought. Here's my Vietnam era Mark II. If so, let us know in the comments below. Many carried Gerber MK II knives. The handle on the Mark II is 5.25 inches long and has a flattened oval cross-section and tapered palm-swell design. The Mark II was successful due largely to its well-designed blade and lightweight. MIA 4/24/1969 in Cambodia. It was called the Mark II combat knife and was fist produced in 1966. So I looked up the Gerber Command 1 but it seems a lot smaller than this one. It received its baptism of blood one terrible dark monsoon night. I have attempted to use information from the lists to resolve some of the discrepancies, correct a few errors and insert more detail into the table. It is incredibly durable and very well made. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Named 1st CAL 1970 Vietnam War Gerber Mark II Mk 2 Fighting Knife Watch Grouping at the best online prices at eBay! 1,001 to 5,000 = 1967 5,001 to 9,900 = 1968 9,901 to 14,350 = 1969 14,351 to 19,300 = 1970 19,301 to 23,750 = 1971 23,751 to 28,000 = 1972 28,001 to 32,900 = 1973 32,901 to 39,000 = 1974 Is it possible it's a gerber command 2? Black double guard. This allows them to be sharpened at the same time as the blade and makes sharpening a breeze. I am not bound by any written, verbal or implied contract to give this product a good review. The Gerber Mark II has a suggested retail price of $115,00. "Bud" Holzman, who served with the 101 . Share #1 Posted April 5, 2012. It is unknown whether the Mark II was possibly lost in the field and later found by enemy solders, or if the U.S. SF soldier was killed by some of the same NVA who died in the October 1968 Central Highlands ambush. I recently discovered that I was wrong about the original designer. GERBER MARK II IN VIETNAM Photo: Medal of Honor winner, Jim Fleming A picture of Jerry Michael Shriver, Master Sergeant, CCS, MACV-SOG (5TH SF GRP), SPECIAL FORCES U.S. Army. It is a good solid knife, was a carry knife for troops in Vietnam. The Gerber MK II has constantly been featured in movies and series. While 420HC is not a high-end stainless steel, it does produce a good knife steel with good corrosion resistance and fairly good edge holding ability. Check out the Gerber Mark II today and see why it was the choice of special operations troops for generations. RecPak is a meal replacement for the outdoors that saves you weight, space and time in the most challenging environments, just add water. 420HC is a m, The HC stands for high carbon, which means it can be brought to a higher hardness than 420. You must become a subscriber or login to view or post comments on this article. If you examine the photo closely, you can see the sharpening steel on the knife sheath face. The Mark II is a true classic that belongs in every knife collection. I received this product as a courtesy from the manufacturer so I could test it and give my honest feedback. The first sheaths were leather. Note the Gerber Mark II worn on a belt on the right hip. Barrett products are used by civilians, sport shooters, law enforcement agencies, the United States military, and more than 75 State Department-approved countries around the world. Coach guns were typically double-barreled shotguns with short barrels that made them easy to maneuver in 2023 JNews - Premium WordPress news & magazine theme by Jegtheme. First introduced in 1966, this tactical knife is serialized for collectors.This 40 year-old jewel features a black oxide coated 420 HC double serrated blade and die cast aluminum handle. The Ka-Bar, the Bowie knife, the. Barrett products are used by civilians, sport shooters, law enforcement agencies, the United States military, and more than 75 State Department-approved countries around the world. Its ridiculous to think that the PX, of all places, wouldnt want to arm fighting men with a fighting knife, but here we are. Yes, you can, but its not so straightforward. The Mark II stands out thanks to its blade design. And he designed it not just to be a tool but a weapon. Fighting knives are the best knives. Commercial knife makers like 420HC. The Gerber Mark II - Vietnam Era Fighting Knife by Travis Pike Jan 18, 2021 As far as legendary fighting knives go, there are a few that stand the test of time. People say the PC nonsense is new, but the PX stopped carrying the MK II in the 1970s because they felt that the knife was too brutal and that fighting knives were of poor taste. The Mark I had a 4.75 inch (12cm) blade and was marketed as a boot knife.[6]. Note that for some reason no "G" serial numbers were made. Note that the sheath has two repairs. Its lighter than a bayonet and knives like the KA-BAR. When I enlisted in the Marines, I had a subscription to Leatherneck magazine sent to my parents home.

Ghanaweb News Today Sports Football, Jonathan Schottenstein, Articles G