david woodley packard wife

Fazzino accompanied Packard on a lobbying trip to Sacramento in 1989, and remembers how factually Packard presented his case. Because of their shareholdings as individuals and in family trusts and foundations, though, the founders' children, now ranging in age from late 40's to early 60's, are being forced to take a stand. "We weren't interested in the, idea of making any money. While he left day-to-day management of Hewlett-Packard more than a decade ago, Mr. Packard remained involved with the company until his retirement as chairman in 1993. WebDavid Woodley Packard rejoins the debate over the HP-Compaq deal, accusing Hewlett-Packard of misusing his father's words to promote the merger. Throughout his corporate career, Mr. Packard was also a sworn enemy of executive pomposity. The beneficiaries, it adds, are likely to be rivals like Dell Computer, I.B.M. Als u niet wilt dat wij en onze partners cookies en persoonsgegevens voor deze aanvullende doeleinden gebruiken, klik dan op 'Alles weigeren'. From humble beginnings in a Palo Alto garage 57 years ago, Packard and his partner, Bill Hewlett, built a company whose technical competence, innovative management practices and consistent commercial success was an inspiration to generations of high-technology entrepreneurs. His question is one that Ms. Fiorina poses to the opponents of the merger. He had a great sense of the long term, and with it he had a good sense of humor. ''It all comes down to one issue for me -- what's best for the business, not so much this year or next year, but for the long term.''. On a Colorado camping trip during the Depression, the two college men talked about starting their own business. Woodley started for the Dolphins in the 1981 playoff game versus the San Diego Chargers. When he heard that the retiring chief executive of a Fortune 500 company would be paid several hundred thousand dollars a year as a consultant, he joked to friends that he came cheap -- he would give advice to Hewlett-Packard after he left "and it won't cost them a dime.". "Hewlett-Packard, Dave and Bill are part and parcel of this community and what it means, ever since I've been here," said Council member Gary Fazzino, who has lived in Palo Alto for 30 years, and has worked at HP for 19 years. . See the article in its original context from. Second, the document contends that Hewlett-Packard shareholders will suffer because the company's highly profitable printing business will be diluted in a combined enterprise with a larger collection of troubled, low-profit businesses -- especially a much larger personal computer business. U kunt uw keuzes te allen tijde wijzigen door te klikken op de links 'Privacydashboard' op onze sites en in onze apps. Packard also encouraged the district to hire Birge Clark, the architect of hundreds of Palo Alto buildings, to design all the schools, rather than spend more money using different architects. He was a unique individual. Packard's wife of 49 years, Lucile Salter Packard, died in 1987. That appointment sparked an immediate controversy, because Mr. Packard was then at the helm of a company doing $100 million a year in defense-related business, and he was moving into a job as director of day-to-day operations at the Pentagon. He was a role model to a lot of us," said Tom Ford, owner of Ford Land Company in Menlo Park and a founder of the Lincoln Club. The company grew quickly, becoming a leading supplier of electronic instruments and test equipment. Mr. Packard, who lived in Los Altos Hills, Calif., is survived by his son, David Woodley Packard, and his daughters, Nancy Ann Packard Burnett, Susan Packard Orr, and Julie Elizabeth Packard. "Here I was with one of the most accomplished, successful, richest, intelligent people in the world. Occasionally the digitization process introduces transcription errors or other problems; we are continuing to work to improve these archived versions. More significant, Walter Hewlett, the lone remaining family member on the board of Hewlett-Packard, is actively lobbying institutional investors to vote against the deal. She died in 1987. Born in 1912 in Pueblo, Colo., to a lawyer and a high school teacher, Packard decided in grade school that he wanted to be an engineer--even though his father had hoped he would follow in his footsteps and study law. Education Kids where Susan, Nancy, and David Woodley or D.W . During the 1990's, the reliance on Hewlett-Packard helped make the foundation one of the nation's largest, but the reversal has been striking. ", "Those of you who knew my father will understand why we chose this picture," his son said. After graduating Phi Beta Kappa from Stanford in 1934, he took his first job, with General Electric in Schenectady, N.Y. Five others offered tributes to the Hewlett-Packard co-founder, including his son David Woodley Packard. They have also lived in Bellingham, WA and Valencia, CA. 136 Irving Street Cambridge, MA 02138. Services will be held at Stanford University's Memorial Church at 3 p.m. Friday. In his freshman year at Stanford, he set records in track and later lettered in varsity football and basketball. Guests were handed printed programs, with a sepia-toned photograph of David Packard looking back as he drives a tractor on his ranch. During the 1990s he coined the term prequiem, a He leads by example.". Keep supporting great journalism by turning off your ad blocker. Psychiatrist Claude Rains cures Davis and suggests a cruise, where she falls in love with married Paul Henreid. [7] Hewlett-Packard In 1939, Packard and Hewlett established Hewlett-Packard(HP) in Packard's garagewith an initial capital investment of $538 (equivalent to US$10,481 in 2021). Mr. Packard stipulated that upon his death, all of his 46.6 million Lucile Packard died in 1987. Fazzino said. After you've done that, you ought to forget about it and do something else. "Dave came over and took three chairs in one hand and three in another hand, and worked right alongside me until the job was done. He served as president of the Alpha Delta Phi fraternity. Packard and college buddy Morrie Doyle's last fishing trip together was in October, Doyle recalled from the church podium. An avid outdoorsman who enjoyed hunting and fishing, Mr. Packard would often operate the bulldozer himself for construction or clearing operations on ranches he owned with Mr. Hewlett in California and Idaho. '', See the article in its original context from. Mr. Packard was born in Pueblo, Colo. Woodley at one point split time with backup Don Strock so evenly that the quarterback tandem was often referred to as "WoodStrock". "I was the only woman. Packard spent his retirement years (which officially began in 1993) fly fishing in central British Columbia, giving barbecues at his ranch and working in the orchard surrounding his Los Altos Hills home. David is related to David Woodley Packard and Pamela Packard as well as 3 additional people. David Woodley never felt insulated. Woodley is one of two quarterbacks in NFL history, along with Ken Stabler, to have a career winning percentage above .600 while throwing at least 10 more interceptions than touchdowns. Mr. Packard was chief executive officer and chairman of the board when he left the company in 1969 to become deputy secretary of defense under Secretary Melvin R. Laird in the first Nixon administration. In a 1993 interview with the Palo Alto Weekly, Hewlett said: "Dave put it very well, when he went on to be (deputy) secretary of defense (in 1969) and he said, 'This country has done so much for me; when they want my help I feel I should respond.' The David and Lucile Packard Foundation's contribution to the institute now has grown to more than $120 million. CAPTION: DAVID Today, it is the nation's second-largest computer company, after I.B.M., and Silicon Valley's biggest employer, with 100,000 workers. [1][2][3] He played college football at Louisiana State University. Packard, said Stanford University Provost Condoleezza Rice, will be remembered as "a foundational figure of this university. Through the foundation, Packard also donated $70 million for the state-of-the-art Lucile Salter Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford. Woodley's career record was 34181 (.651), despite throwing 63 interceptions against his 48 career touchdown passes. Hewlett-Packard. I started hp in 1936. "My father and my mother were each other's sweethearts, and they're together again," he concluded. A $300-million (minimum) gondola to Dodger Stadium? The two also endowed the Terman Fellows program with $25 million to provide financial support to young science and engineering professors. The logic of the merger rests on a view of the computer industry as going into a turbulent period of consolidation, as companies struggle for advantage amid the worst slump in the history of Silicon Valley. Mr. Hewlett's adviser, Friedman Fleischer, did not visit Hewlett-Packard's management, preferring to work from public records. And he was a major philanthropist, supporting projects ranging from the Monterey Bay Aquarium to Stanford Universitys Lucile Salter Packard Childrens Hospital. DESTINY is decidedly knocking at the door of the founders' heirs because of the controversial Compaq merger. The merger plan calls for a cut of 15,000 jobs, and cost savings of $2.5 billion annually by 2004. The company built the first desktop scientific calculator in 1968 and pioneered the handheld calculator in 1972 before becoming the leading producer of minicomputers and laser printers, and the No. ''It turned out that I was really good at programming,'' Mr. Packard said in an interview last week. To me, that's David Packard. Packard also helped recruit Dr. Henry M. Gunn, an experienced education administrator who helped guide the district to its strong reputation. It was just as if he was saying 'It's yours now. In subsequent years it would expand overseas and acquire more companies. Robert Gregg, dean of Memorial Church, officiated over the emotional 45-minute service. They were united a few years later by Terman, who awarded Packard a fellowship at Stanford and found Hewlett a job. Until February, Ms. Orr was a member of the Hewlett-Packard board, and she served on a board committee that was crucial in hiring Ms. Fiorina in 1999. Susan Packard Orr, the chairwoman of the family foundation, appears to share some of Ms. Fiorina's views, while her brother, David Woodley Packard, announced last month that he opposed a merger with Compaq. In recent conversations, the Hewletts and the Packards have also assured each other that no matter what the Packard Foundation's decision, their friendships will remain intact, family members say. "Even though Dave was associated with pro-growth supporters in the '50s and '60s, he was a very strong proponent of open space, affordable housing and alternative forms of transportation," Fazzino said. In his 1995 book "The HP Way," (Harpers Business) Mr. Packard wrote that one of the objectives of the company was "to maintain an organizational environment that fosters individual motivation, initiative and creativity, and a wide latitude of freedom in working toward established objectives and goals." Packard, said Stanford University Provost Condoleezza Rice, will be remembered as "a foundational I will not attempt to list his many awards and achievements. He was soon spending a lot of time at the Harvard computer center, writing code for a hulking I.B.M. VEHICLE ENTRANCE. As a director, Mr. Hewlett attended the meetings when the Compaq merger was weighed and, along with the other directors, voted in favor of the deal announced on Sept. 4. "He was a superb individual. He was instrumental in making sure the district built enough schools--one to three new ones every year in the 1950s--to keep up with the baby boom. They fished for trout in a river that explorers Lewis and Clark forded. By the next week, Marino was named the starter for the remainder of the season. "To those of us who knew him, he will always be 'Dave,'" Hewlett said on Tuesday. He and Hewlett together have given Stanford University more than $300 million. In 1939, with $538, they started their company, tinkering on projects that Packard called inventions to order.. HEWLETT-PACKARD'S management is encouraged that Booz-Allen, the foundation's adviser, has met with the company and its advisers, McKinsey & Company and Goldman, Sachs. He was a very broad gauge person. While Hewlett was serving in World War II, Packard ran and expanded the company, working on military contracts and developing his management philosophy. He served on the board of directors of Stanford University and of several corporations, including the Boeing Company, Caterpillar Tractor, the Chevron Corporation and Genentech Inc. Born in Pueblo, Colo., Mr. Packard attended Stanford University, where he received his bachelor's degree and his master's degree in electrical engineering. David Packards death is a loss to the company and the country that he loved so well, Bill Hewlett said in a statement. "Honesty, leadership, learning. He would compete with Mark Malone for his new team's starting quarterback job, as elbow problems had forced Terry Bradshaw to retire and Cliff Stoudt had left for the USFL. In 1989, on HPs 50th anniversary, the clapboard garage of the modest two-story house Packard and his wife rented (with an apartment for then-bachelor Bill Hewlett), the building in which the two engineers began working on their inventions to order, became a California historical landmark. They flipped a coin to determine whose name would be first. People who knew David Packard use superlatives to describe him. As respected as he was, Packard's positions were sometimes controversial. "Dave Packard, along with his wife, Lucile, and his partner, Bill Hewlett, have shaped and nurtured this university in ways that can only be compared to the One was "management by walking around," a method by which senior executives stayed in touch by making themselves visible and accessible on the shop floor. But the composition of the board -- particularly the members who are likely to shape the discussion -- and what is known of the foundation's review process suggest that the merger stands a far better chance of receiving a nod of approval from the Packard Foundation than it did from Walter Hewlett or David Woodley Packard. She sounded that theme on Sept. 14, when she and Robert P. Wayman, the chief financial officer of Hewlett-Packard, first met with the Packard Foundation board to explain the merger plan. The setting will be the second-floor conference room of the David and Lucile Packard Foundation in the affluent town of Los Altos, Calif. Twelve board members, including three of the four Packard children, will review a report by Booz-Allen & Hamilton, the consultant hired by the foundation to assess Hewlett-Packard's $23.6 billion bid for Compaq Computer. He just settled this one, DeSantis board approves suing Disney in response to lawsuit, What the work-from-home era has done to office politics, Regulators seize First Republic Bank, sell its assets to JPMorgan Chase. The company jumped from $34,000 in annual revenues in 1940 to more than $1 million in just three years. He served in the Defense Department during the Vietnam War, but found public service trying. We never had a shortage of schools," Packard said in a 1993 interview with the Weekly. At a museum fund-raising event in January 1995 that both Packard and Hewlett attended, the two men touched their hands to silicon wafers. "Bill Hewlett and I were brought up in the Depression," Packard said in a 1991 interview with The Chronicle. Is David Woodley in the Hall of WebPackard was buried alongside his wife in Altamont Cemetery in Los Altos. With all his fame and wealth and fortune and respect, here he is putting the chairs away. Witnesses offer conflicting accounts, Mars Voltas lead singer broke with Scientology and reunited with the band. A former HP board member . WebDavid Woodley Packard, Ph.D. (born 1940) is a former professor and noted philanthropist; he is the son of Hewlett-Packard co-founder David Packard. He knew what he thought, and he made decisions that worked. I saw him chew people out who didnt do their homework, said former HP general manager Wim Roelandts. But Packard didn't always follow party lines: He endorsed and mentored state Assemblyman John Vasconcellos, a liberal Democrat who represents Silicon Valley. "I consider that he was the primary force behind the Palo Alto school system building at the time it needed to without going to state aid," said Winslow, who covered the school board for the Palo Alto Times in those years. . With a Stanford University classmate, William R. Hewlett, Mr. Packard began the company that became the Hewlett-Packard electronics giant in a one-car garage in Palo Alto in 1938. Infamously, this came after the Steelers passed up local native Marino for Gabriel Rivera (who played in six NFL games before a drunk-driving crash left him paralyzed) in the 1983 NFL Draft. Hewlett and Packard met in their undergraduate days studying "radio engineering" at Stanford. A plaque marks the Addison Avenue spot as a state historic landmark and the birthplace of Silicon Valley. He frequently traveled to Washington, often on Presidential or Cabinet-level invitation, to serve on special Government commissions, to exchange views with elected officials or to testify at Government hearings. ''It shows you can't escape your destiny.''. HP Vice President Noel Porter, for example, served on the City Council for 12 years, including as mayor from 1955-60. Before you know it you wake up every day feeling like shit. David Packard, who with his partner William Hewlett launched one of Silicon Valley's most innovative electronics companies from a Palo Alto garage with $538 in cash and a calling to "do something useful," died today at Stanford University Hospital. Woodley threw for 8,558 yards in five seasons (687 of 1,300) with 48 touchdowns and 63 interceptions. And they almost laughed me out of the room.". In fact, HP employees casually refer to their founding fathers as Bill and Dave. Despite starting the game well with a 76-yard touchdown pass to Jimmy Cefalo, Woodley and the entire offense then struggled, with no completions in eight attempts in the second half. Stanford University also has benefitted from its famous alumni: Hewlett and Packard have made personal donations of more than $300 million to the university. David Woodley Packard, for example, left the Packard Foundation in 1999, after it gave his own Packard Humanities Institute a grant of $1.6 billion. Dave was used to making a decision and getting action on it, said HP librarian Lewis. He was an unflagging proponent of engineering education, a critic of America's chronic trade deficit with Japan and, at the height of the cold war, a proponent of increased trade with Soviet bloc nations as the best way to establish lasting world peace. David Packard, co-founder of Hewlett-Packard Inc., patriarch of the Silicon Valley and one of the most influential figures in all of American business, died Tuesday of pneumonia. Although he and his advisers say there is no personal edge to his campaign, Mr. Hewlett is directly confronting Ms. Fiorina, who was recruited from Lucent Technologies two years ago. "He'd become very frail. ''It's not even close.''. WebThose assholes. Revenues were $31.5 billion last year. I, DAVID PACKARD, declare that this is my will. The foundation contributed $5.4 million to school music programs in Santa Clara, San Mateo, Santa Cruz and Monterey counties from 1982-93.

Central Transport International Tracking, Kicking Dust At The Feet Of A Fallen Opponent Cowboy, Articles D